Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista is not working!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jpwku4921

jpwku4921

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Please help! My computer seems to have many problems and I have no idea what is causing them... no known virus, registry changes, etc. I can not access the internet connection (wireless) in normal mode. The connection is available in safe mode and internet explorer works. Almost everything that I do in normal mode freezes and has to be stopped using ctl alt del. Windows security center and firewall are off and can't be accessed (when I try to turn on security center in safe mode I get "the security center service can't be started"). In normal mode I can't access the control panel, network configurations, services, msconfig, other spyware programs (spysweeper, malware bytes), etc.. IE won't even come up and say that the page can't be displayed or anything. It "thinks" for a few seconds and then the rotating cursor stops (on some actions it will open a blank page and then freeze there "thinking"). Basically, anything that is associated with Windows or IE does not seem to work.

The desktop appears normal and I have full access to all of my files and 3rd party programs (AutoCad, iTunes, etc.).

I had OneCare installed, but uninstalled it in safe mode using the clean utility. I have run several spyware/malware scanners in safe mode and no infected items were found. I also removed Spysweeper in case the firewall was causing problems

I am afraid that I am going to have to reinstall the OS. I have all of my files backed up, but I will lose a lot of programs, etc. if this has to be done.

The problems started this past Sunday morning. My wife was on the computer to check her email and was on Facebook for a few minutes. Then, she said that my 22 month old son was at the computer and turned it off (obviously he doesn't know any better, but I know that it is unsafe to not properly shut down they system). I didn't think that shutting down the computer improperly would have caused these problems because it has happened once or twice before without any harm.

When I got on the computer there was a box up on the screen from OneCare that said something about not being able to run program properly and all of the other previously mentioned problems existed.

I can access add/remove programs, but I can't actually perform any functions beyond that in normal mode. Since I couldn't uninstall OneCare, I downloaded the clean utility from Microsoft in safe mode and ran that. Now OneCare is not visible anywhere, but I'm sure that there are still remnants.

Now, after running several scans - such as Combofix - when I reboot into normal mode after asking for my password a black screen with an arrow cursor comes up and there is no desktop. I have to go to ctl alt del and stop the process explorer.exe and then create a new task called explorer.exe.

I have had someone review the Combofix and HijackThis logs and nothing raised any red flags. I have also run Spybot S&D and Malware Bytes. Nothing seems to make any difference.

I don't even know if this is a virus/malware or if it is a system error.

Any ideas about what may be causing this or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jpwku4921, 14 July 2010 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

My first suggestion is almost always a system restore to before these problems started.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-system-restore-guide/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users