Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't even type in windows update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Explorerofinternets

Explorerofinternets

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hello I am running
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Norton Security Suite -
Version: 3.8.0.41

Tell me what else you need--

I seem to have a tricky malware program or virus that can't be detected by Norton, Spyware Doctor, AVG, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware;

It mainly causes popups so far and search hijacks.
Today I upgraded my Spyware Doctor to the antivirus version; the only difference was that it alerted and quarantined a suspicious program that was trying to hide a process from taskmanager.

I noticed that I hadn't had any updates from windows in a while, so I decided to try to go to the website. The website would not work for me yes I have automatic updates enabled and also the necessary services. So I decided to do websearches for alternate windows update pages. Then I noticed something strange. If I type in 'windows update' (without the space-----please don't type in the words without the space because I may not be able to read your response page) I get an automatic 'cannot display this page' error I thought maybe I could try firefox but I cannot type in the phrase 'windows update' into a firefox search without a 'cannot display page' error. I have not found any references to this type of virus or malware. Has anyone heard of such a virus.

Also I tried the microsoft update catalog I actually got to the download section but the downloads failed.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 14 July 2010 - 09:42 PM.
Moving from XP to AII. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Explorerofinternets

Explorerofinternets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:50 PM

YEAH I fixed it.

I found a place that I could download the latest version of the Malicious Software Removal tool. After a 10 hour scan....wow! I finally gave up but I noticed the name. "Virus:Win32/Alureon.H" I had seen quite a few virus names while running quite a few antivirus programs. After researching this virus I saw that some of the symptoms were similar. Like not being able to access windows update website So I looked for a removal tool.

I found one tdsskiller.exe.

It got the job done quick.

Just for future reference one of the symptoms of this virus is it does not allow any searches with the name 'windows update' (no space)

Took 3 days to find a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users