Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looks like I have a re-directing adware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasB3

ThomasB3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Hello everyone.

The issue started about a week ago. Clicking the Links off of search pages would send me to random sites. Then browser windows would start opening by themselves going to random sites. Sometimes I can see it hit a site named wwwadcntr before it redirects.

I'm running XP Pro SP2 and IE8.

I have Panda GP installed as an antivirus with everything turned on (Firewall, etc).

I've used Registry Clean Expert to manage startup files and such.

After the issue started I also installed Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. They found numerous adware in both normal and safeboot and said they removed them but this issue has persisted. I would assume from reading it is some sort of trojan, but I'm not the expert.

Oh, and the last day or so IE keeps thinking I'm not on the network and asking if I want to work offline, even when I'm just following a link to another page.

I'm in your hands...

Tom

Edited by ThomasB3, 14 July 2010 - 08:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller

Also, I would not recommend the use of any registry cleaning applications as they can cause more harm than good.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ThomasB3

ThomasB3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

Are you sure?

None of the activity described for that virus has occurred on my system.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

It won't cause any harm.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ThomasB3

ThomasB3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

Looks like it found serial.sys infected. It cleaned it and I ran MalwareBytes and that came up clean.

You think that was all of it?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

Is the scans are coming up clean and there are no problems you should be okay I think.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 ThomasB3

ThomasB3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

OK. I'll keep watching it.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic