Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.Explorer invisible ads, wave muting, slow pc, clicks.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 matthemod

matthemod

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hi all, new to the forum and unbelievably frustrated at what is apparently an increasing problem lately.

Lately my p.c. (Windows X.P.) has developed a bunch of annoying symptons. Internet Explorer keeps popping up in the task manager with invisible adverts, it happens spontaneously, varying from rarely to every few minutes. Usually its followed by the muting of the wave in the sound panel, and occasional clicking noises. Other than that my p.c. is just running so unbelievably slowly.

I used McAfee anti-virus which came up with nothing, which was also the case with Malwarebyte and Avast! (even with the pre-windows load up scan). I read on another forum to use bootkit-removal.rar which came up saying "unknown boot code has been found on some of your physical disks."

On this other forum it stated to use a code in the Run functions, but for me it was completely useless. I'm really desperate ancreasingly frustrated, please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hello ,let's take one more look with ESET
Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner.
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. Right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green ESET Online Scanner button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box: YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click on the Start button next to it.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then click Insall ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?"".
  • Answer Yes to download and install the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start.
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Scan to start. (please be patient as the scan could take some time to complete)
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • When the scan has finished, a log.txt file will be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Online Scanner\log.txt
    folder.
  • Click Posted Image > Run..., then copy and paste this command into the open box: C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The scan results will open in Notepad. Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 matthemod

matthemod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

I did all of that, until it came to the copying and pasting of "C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt" into the run command. It says it doesn't exist. I then browsed, and came across ESET>ESET ONLINE SCANNER but there was no Log, only Modules, Quarantine, EsetSmartInstaller, OnlineCMDScanner, OnlineCMDScannerA, OnlineScannerApp and OnlineScannerUninstaller. The Log.txt was not in modules or quarantine.

Is this just my computer?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

This sometimes will happen if it finds nothing. But most likely the MBR infection you have.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Include the bootkit log you have.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users