Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command and Conquer: The first decade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryladine

ryladine

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

I run windows 7 Enterprise, I installed Command and Conquer: The first decade, and attempted to play it without running compatibility mode. Some of the games, like Command and Conquer: Red Alert, work without compatibility mode, however, the one I want to play, Command and Conquer: Generals and Command and Conquer: Generals Zero Hour, do not. I enabled Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode on them, but they still would not play, I made them run as an administrator and they still would not work. I disabled the visual themes, Desktop composition, and scaling on high DPI setting, But it still would not run. Always crashing at the splash-screen and returning to the launcher.

Next, I tried installing and running them in a Virtual environment, Windows Virtual Pc, which runs windows XP, to the same result.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

What can I try to make it run? I am willing to try anything, and have enough experience to accomplish just about anything if some one can explain what I need to do.

I am willing to modify system files, and registry values.

I am unable to dual-boot windows XP, due to the lack of a functioning window XP disk.

Yes, I have contacted EA customer support, only to receive the response "It has not be tested for that"

Yes, I know Command and Conquer: The first decade was not made for Windows 7
"Ignorance is not stupidity, refusing to correct it is. Stupidity should be a crime punishable by death." A soon to be famous quote by: Ryladine

Most scientist's think that man is the dominant species on earth, I know the truth, its not man that is the dominant species, its cats.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Did you install them with Compatibility Mode selected?

Right click on the setup.exe and select Windows XP Mode.

#3 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

No, Although I thought of that after I posted. I'm going to try it later tonight. (I've entered all 7 of the serial keys 3 times now, and I'm not looking forward to doing it again.)
"Ignorance is not stupidity, refusing to correct it is. Stupidity should be a crime punishable by death." A soon to be famous quote by: Ryladine

Most scientist's think that man is the dominant species on earth, I know the truth, its not man that is the dominant species, its cats.

#4 zapkoolaid42

zapkoolaid42

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

I recently downloaded the very first Command and Conquer (Tiberian Dawn) while it was free from EA Games. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. The two discs came as ISOs, and all I had to do was mount them in PowerISO, install them, and run them. It only runs at 640x480 resolution and if your resolution is set higher the game sits in the upper-lefthand corner, but it DOES run. Compatibility mode not necessary in my case.

The website I got it from has some installation instructions for newer computers that might be useful to you. Check it out here:

http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

Here's another link that might help, at least for Tiberian Dawn:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

Actually, I think I did have to turn on Win 95 compatibility mode. In any case, the exact instructions are at that first link.

Edited by zapkoolaid42, 15 July 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#5 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Well.... I seem to have misplaced my case (unfourtunately my cd keys were inside....) I'll post if either of your suggestions worked when I manage to find it.

#6 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

Well, after finding the disk less than 5 minutes after my last post...

cryptodan
It didn't work, when I went to try to set it to install in compatibility mode, it was already running in it, and it wouldn't let me change the version of windows it was running it for.

zapkoolaid42
I've been in contact with EA, they have been next to useless.

But where on the site did you find information regarding to installing them on newer OS's?

Edited by ryladine, 15 July 2010 - 10:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users