Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/Trojan: multiple iexplore.exe, sound mutes, hidden popup ads

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ReyVGM

ReyVGM

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Hello guys and gals.

I've been having this problem for 3 days now. When I start my computer, I can see an instance of iexplore.exe on the task manager without me even opening Internet Explorer.
The sound volume automatically mutes itself, no matter how many times I turn it back on. When the sound is turned on, I hear clicking noises.
I also occasionally get IE popup ads too and notices asking me if I want IE to be my default browser.

I know I'm infected with something, but nothing seems to catch it. I had CA Antivirus and it detected and removed stuff, but the problem persists. I uninstalled it and now I'm using AVG Anti Virus and it didn't catch anything either.

I also used MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Microsoft's Oncare Live and several other scanners and none have helped.

I'm using TCPView and I see 5-20 instances of explore.exe opening and closing, trying to stablish connection. I also see several svchosts opening and closing (even when I'm not doing anything in the computer). I tried closing all of them except the one that Windows needs to keep running, and the problem seemed to stop. But if I restart the computer or if I open IE, the problem comes back.

I also noted in the Task Manager, a file called CAWSC.EXE randomly appearing and disappearing.

Searching online and on this very same forum, I see several people with the exact same problem. Is there a fix for this? I don't really want to format my computer.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReyVGM

ReyVGM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

Bump!

Edited by Budapest, 14 July 2010 - 06:50 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 ReyVGM

ReyVGM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:47 AM

Thanks, but that's not really what I have. I have the same issue numerous people have been reporting lately. Multiple iexplore.exe instances, clicking noises, volume turning off, popup ads and an impossible to remove virus/trojan thing.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

In that case you need to do this:

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 ReyVGM

ReyVGM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

Thanks Budapest. I did all the steps, except the GMER one because the program kept crashing, giving me BSoD and slowing my system to a halt. I left it over night and when I woke up the program had crashed again.

Is there an alternative to GMER?

I'm using Win XP SP3.

Edited by ReyVGM, 15 July 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Just leave out the GMER log and state in your new topic that it wouldn't run.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users