Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting & DVD drive issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZaneTech

ZaneTech

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit
Laptop: Toshiba Equium A210-1AS
Model number: PSAFJE
DVD drive (F:) : TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632H ATA Device

(not too sure how much info you need, please let me know and i'll gladly be able to provide more)

Issue:

I want to reformat my laptop and i have the product recovery disk, however, when I put the disk in (or any other for that matter) the DVD drive will not recognise there being anything in there. I can open the DVD drive, i can hear it run but it won't recognise anything in there.

I have tried to remove the Upper and Lower registries in the regedit (there was no Upper or Lower filters there though) and I tried to uninstall the drivers and get the laptop to reinstall them but to no avail. I therefore concluded that the Optical drive was just damaged (if you think otherwise please do say, i'm not experienced with computers that much).

As a result, I checked my other methods for getting the laptop to load from boot and they were:

HDD
FDD
USB memory
CDDVD

So I assumed that USB memory meant I could use an external CD drive, therefore, i went out and bought one (checked if it was compatible to load from booting), that has not worked either.

I am considering buying a DVD drive for the laptop and putting it in for myself, but the shape of the drive is a bit wierd...

Posted Image

I don't want to go on and spend more money on this unless this is the last resort, if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Zane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

May help, http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD9102IR0000R01.htm

Louis

#3 ZaneTech

ZaneTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

That function isn't available on my laptop, it's only available on those after a certain date as they are not given a recovery cd, this is the substitute for that.

Thanks for that though

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

If it is a slimline external drive, chances are you could pull it apart and use that drive in your lappy. I have yet to run into a laptop CD/DVD/Blu-ray that was proprietary. The only differences were the color/shape of the external cover which can be swapped out in a jiffy (it just snaps on to the CD tray). From what I can tell it is an IDE/ATAPI drive, not a SATA so that limits your choices now.

Something like this:
http://www.chiefpick.com/DS_24CZP_p/od-ds-24czp.htm but I would pull it to be sure.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I seen your description of the problem you are having with your optical drive.

Is the drive being recognized by the BIOS?

If it is that means the controller built into the drive is still functioning and the drive is making contact with it's connections to the motherboard.

I seen where you said it will run, so that tells me its getting power.

Have you tried cleaning the lens? The laser lens can sometimes get dirty with drives such as this because it is exposed when the carriage draw is opened, unlike regular desktop type drives.

You should try using a cotton swab (Q-Tip) dipped in isopropyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol and gently stroke it across the lens, be careful not to dislodge the lens or mess up the angle it is on, or leave fibers of cotton in the lens holder.

Try a boot disk in it and see if the computer now boots from the disk.

By the way, in your BIOS's boot menu cdrom or cddvd should be chosen as first boot device and hard drive as the second.

During boot up, wording should appear on the screen saying press enter to boot from disk.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 July 2010 - 04:05 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 ZaneTech

ZaneTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the reply guys :flowers:

@dpunisher: It's a desktop sized DVD drive i'm afraid :thumbsup: and anyone know of a UK based comp parts website where I can buy the laptop DVD drive and a grounded wrist strap?

@MrBruce1959:

I will try the cotton swab technique and get back to you on that.

Is the drive being recognized by the BIOS?

If it is that means the controller built into the drive is still functioning and the drive is making contact with it's connections to the motherboard.

What do you mean by that and how do I check it? ^^;;

And yes, I have changed the order in importance on which method should come first, however, when i load from disk all I get is a black screen with an underscroll blinking in the top left hand corner and the drive sounds like it's attempting to load. After failing, it starts to boot from HDD.

EDIT:

CLEANED IT AND IT WORKS (FOR NOW). THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP

Edited by ZaneTech, 14 July 2010 - 05:41 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

@MrBruce1959:
CLEANED IT AND IT WORKS (FOR NOW). THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP

You're welcome!

Glad things are back to normal again! :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users