Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop Compatibility Issues

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 black069

black069

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:38 AM

Hello.

I have been reading for some time now to try to figure out a way to configure and run Remote Desktop (which I have never used at all) such that I can remotely run programs, etc. on my home desktop computer from my mobile computer (i.e., my laptop).

I have Windows XP PRO SP3 as the OS on my laptop. Thus, everything is good on its end.

However, my desktop has Windows XP HOME SP3. So I think therein lies the problem.

By my reading, a computer whose OS is XP HOME cannot be on the receiving end of Remote Desktop.

When I speak of "Remote Desktop" here, I am referring to the Windows application that is accessed via right-clicking My Computer, selecting Properties, and then selecting the Remote tab to configure.

As a recently ordained intermediate user, I have tried to read about applications like UltraVNC and others, but I get bogged down in the details and am unable to determine if my desired task is possible using such a program, especially free programs, with these 2 computers.

I know that applications like ShowMyPC.com, which I have used on occasion to help my mother fix her computer, allow one user to remotely run apps on a second computer, but the 2nd computer must have a user there to give the first user a passcode. Thus, such programs would be examples of REMOTE ASSISTANCE as opposed to REMOTE DESKTOP.

I wanted to also mention that my laptop is wirelessly connected to my LAN network (to my high-speed cable modem) via a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router WPN824v2. I have read that it might be possible to perform Remote Desktop-type application by configuring the wireless router settings. And when I look in my Router Manager, there is a link in the Advanced section called "Remote Management", but the settings are a bit over my level of expertise. In addition, I am not convinced that this Remote Management is not simply a method to change the router settings remotely (i.e., using a laptop).

I would greatly appreciate any help figuring this out, as I've given it my best shot and have come up empty-handed and frustrated.

See computer specs of the 2 computers below. And please feel free to ask if you need more info.

Sincerely,

Scott

Computer Specs:

Desktop Computer
Dell Dimension 4550
Intel Pentium 4 CPU
2 GB RAM
Windows XP HOME SP3
Fully patched.
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9700 TX 128MB RAM

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Live! (WDM) Series
Network Card: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection