Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Bootup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeterG

PeterG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:43 PM

Hi all,

I have a Dell inspiron 5000e laptop, which at the moment will not boot up. Once you turn it on the Dell logo page flashes onto the screen and then the computer does nothing else. My daughter was on msn earlier in the day and I suspect that it is the victim of a virus. Can anyone offer some help?

PeterG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:34 PM

:thumbsup: to BC PeterG.

I'm not really familiar with that laptop but it seems to me there are two posibilities:

1. The laptop is booting but the display is redirected elsewhere - check the manual for turning on and off external monitors.

2. There is a boot sector corruption in which case you will need to boot from the Windows CD and use the Recovery Console. The Exact process depends on which operating system you have.

Reboot the laptop and press F2 or the Del key to enter the BIOS and check you can boot from CDROM/DVDROM (it should come before the Hard Drive in the Boot Prioriy, if not change the order). Don't change anything your unfamiliar with. Follow the prompts to exit saving changes.

Let us know where your at. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 PeterG

PeterG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:38 PM

:thumbsup: to BC PeterG.

I'm not really familiar with that laptop but it seems to me there are two posibilities:

1. The laptop is booting but the display is redirected elsewhere - check the manual for turning on and off external monitors.

2. There is a boot sector corruption in which case you will need to boot from the Windows CD and use the Recovery Console. The Exact process depends on which operating system you have.

Reboot the laptop and press F2 or the Del key to enter the BIOS and check you can boot from CDROM/DVDROM (it should come before the Hard Drive in the Boot Prioriy, if not change the order). Don't change anything your unfamiliar with. Follow the prompts to exit saving changes.

Let us know where your at. :flowers:

Hi Rimmer,

Thanks for the advice. I don't believe that the display is being redirected elsewhere, as we have never done that before and are not aware of how to do that anyway. I had a quick look in the manual and there wasn't any mention of doing that either.
As to trying to start the laptop and entering the BIOS, I have been unable to do so. Basically I have tried to turn on the computer using all of the F keys and the Del key, with no luck. What is happening is that the laptop turns on and immediately goes to the DELL logo screen, and within seconds after that the hard-drive stops making any sounds and plays dead. I did try to reboot the computer with the Windows XP SP2 disc in the DVD drive, but nothing happened, so I do think that the BIOS is set for booting firstly through the hard-drive.
I am very much a babe in the woods where computers are concerned, so maybe I am missing something that Iam doing. Anyway any other helpful suggestions?

Cheers

PeterG

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:09 PM

Thought I'd nailed it here but that's for a desktop. Grrrr!

For your info:

Video Display Device Allows you to specify whether video is visible only on the integrated display (LCD Mode), only on an external monitor or projector (CRT Mode), or on both the display and an external device simultaneously (Simul Mode, the default).

Press <Fn><F8> to change the video display device when Windows is running.

- shown in the Dell online manual.

Try this:

Restoring Setup Defaults on the Inspiron 1100, 2500, 2600, 2650, 3000, 3200, 3500, 5000, 5000e, 5100, 7000, or 7500

Follow the appropriate steps below for your system:

1. Restart your computer.
2. At the first text on the screen or immediately after the Dell logo appears, press the <F2> key every three seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.
3. When the System Setup screen appears, press the <F9> key.
4. Press the <Enter> key to confirm that you would like to load the defaults.
5. Press the <F10> key to save changes and exit.
Your computer restarts.

Return to Overview

taken from here.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users