Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD can't access Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 robuk

robuk

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

Last week I problems with a number of trojans etc, solved using advice from this site (used tdsskiller). The PC was OK for a couple of days but now I have BSOD and stop error 7E, searched for info on this but advice is mainly to do with drivers and removing any new hardware or software (none have been added for months). Initially I could access safe mode with command prompt only but now I can't access any, also tried last known good config. Booted from XP cd and selected repair which loaded Recovery Console, not really sure how to use this but when I tried some simple commands such as chkdsk and dir I get a message "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". Not sure what to try next should I reinstall XP or is it likely to be a HD failure?
Dell Vostro running XP Pro SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

Your error message indicates a problem with either the NTFS file system or the hard drive, IMO.

A problem with either seems likely to result in that error message, since chkdsk /r addresses both.

I would move any valued files from that drive...then run Dell Diagnostics on the hard drive.

Louis

#3 robuk

robuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Thanks, I did a backup about a week ago so all my data is safe. Ran Dell diags and all tests passed with no errors.
Would appreciate suggestions for the next step.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

I'd take a close look at the errors reflected in Event Viewer.

Anything that stops chkdsk /r is something to worry about, IMO.

If the hard drive gets a clean bill of health (and I would run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic)...I'd be concerned that the partition has problems...which is why I would examine Event Viewer for errors indicating that something is going wrong and needs action.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

The 7E STOP error seems like a red herring, IMO...or an aftershock type effect. Key words on that from the www.aumha site: "There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information."

Louis

#5 robuk

robuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

Thanks Louis
Not sure which make of hd is installed but I will check and run appropriate diags. I don't think I can use event viewer as I can't load XP even in safe mode unless I've missed something in the instructions.

Cheers
Rob

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:49 AM

Speccy from Piriform will tell you the Motherboard and harddrive installed -
Once you get it to operate in safe mode with networking , you can install this small program -

Thank You -

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

It seems possible to me that your system is infected...I don't believe that a repair install is necessarily an effective remedy for a system with various types of infections.

From BC Guide:

"If you are still having problems with your computer after completing these instructions, then please follow the steps outlined in the topic linked below:

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help
."

The link for the Prep Guide is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/.

You can find the manufacturer of your hard drive by simply looking at the hard drive itself, noting the model number also.

Louis

#8 robuk

robuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hi Louis
I'm with you on this one, maybe my previous infections were not correctly removed and its still the same problem. The problem is I can't run any of the suggested standard fixes (tdss killer, Malware bytes etc) as I can't access windows or any variety of safe mode. Are there any fixes I can run from a command prompt which I assume is still available via the XP CD repair option. I'm still going to open up the case and check hd type and diags as suggested.

Cheers
Rob

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Our malware personnel can guide you in overcoming your situation, I believe.

"Standard fixes" are only good when malware developers aren't busy trying to overcome known neutralizers, IMO. The BC Malware Team uses a variety of tools and approaches in their daily battle to overcome the dark forces which stupidly create those items we know as "malware", which (IMO) is an indication that "standard fixes" work against some things, but not others.

I guess that's why we have a quite busy group here which daily deals with malware.

Louis

#10 robuk

robuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:50 AM

Hi Louis
If you think its still malware will it get picked up by one of the malware team or do I need the topic to be in the correct forum area?

Rob

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

See post #7, IMO, it's best to follow the directions outlined in the Removal Guide.

None of the data in this thread will be of any value to Staff personnel in the MRL forum...no point in moving all this to AII, then having someone there give you the same instructions contained in the Removal Guide.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users