Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD-RW drive won't play

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

My HP Pavilion ZV5000 laptop with windows XP Home SP3 will not play music CD's or movie DVD's. It will however recognize software CD's that I wish to install, but it will not auto-play. In order to install new software from a CD I must go to My Computer and right click on the CD drive that has taken on the Icon of whatever software I wish to install. Then I select open, and search through the files on the disc for the auto run. Once that's selected the CD will then play and allow the software to run and install.

When I try playing a music CD or a DVD, nothing happens. And I've tried more than one so I know it's not the DVD or music cd. The drive will not respond, nor does the drive DVD/CD-RW icon change to that of the DVD or Music CD icon.

I've tried troubleshooting the drive with HP's built in help, which turns out not to be helpful. I've tried looking for updated drivers at HP's website, but there doesn't appear to be any for my PC. I also tried seeing if there were any updates for the drivers from Windows Updates. But again came up empty.

I am really not interested in playing music or watching movies on my PC. The audio is too tinny for that. But I would like to be able to get the drive to at least auto-play the software CD's. It's a nuisance searching for the auto run files. Most times they're not in plan sight.

Anyone know of a simple solution to this annoyance?

Thank you for looking, and for any help,

Ziva

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

When optical drive becomes picky, in most cases, you need a new drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

I figured it would be something like that. I've been considering getting a new laptop. (Though I hate to give up XP). But I don't want to put any more money into this one.

Thank you for responding.

Ziva

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users