Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating from Win 7 Pro to Ultimate???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Hey guys:

I am running Windows 7 Pro. I had a bad virus or rootkit that messed up my system software amongst a bunch of other software that I really use!!! I ran every great anti-virus/malware programs and cleaned the system. I uninstalled all the software I use all the time. And then I went into the registry and deleted every registry file or folder that was associated with those programs I use. I rebooted and re-installed them... and they still failed. Again, my conclusion is that the virus screwed one or more System files and I know I will never figure out which ones got zapped.

My only conclusion is:

I would like to update to Windows Ultimate from Windows Pro to preserve all my installed software and important files. Can I do that??? I am hoping that Windows Ultimate will re-install the system files associated with Ultimate and NOT remove all of my personal software.

I know I titled this "Do I need to back-up". I'll back-up regardless. But, I just want to know if this will work.

A pipedream or not??

Thanks

Edited by jwmghf, 13 July 2010 - 10:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

What scans have you ran, and can you post the logs here?

Also what makes you think that you have a "rootkit"?

#3 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

I've gotten rootkits in the past.

Hijack This, rkill w/malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Eset online scan, SuperAntispyware, CCleaner, Unhack Me, Kaspersky Internet Security, Norton Anti-virus. There may have been some more, but off the top of my head that's what I recall. My hijack this log was given the all clear so I'm satisfied with that.

My internet connection came back. That was gone.

My big problem is that I cannot burn blu-ray disks successfully anymore. I use a program called MultiAVCHD which uses AviSynth, Haali Media Splitter, and ffdShow. The latter 3 progs run in the backround for support for MultiAVCHD. After given the "All Clear" with HiJack This, I tried again to burn a blu-ray disk. It was unsuccessful. So I un-installed all 4 programs, rebooted and ran regedit.

I went into the registry and using the "Find" function in there I, deleted ever registry entry associated with these programs. I did as thorough a job as I could do. It took hours.

I don't want to mess around anymore with logs and run this and that. I just want it fixed. If updating to Windows 7 Ultimate will rewrite my system files and leave all my programs and personal files in tact, that's what I want to do. Will Windows 7 Ultimate do this to Windows 7 Pro??????

If not, I will back-up, reformat and re-install Windows.

Thanks

Edited by jwmghf, 14 July 2010 - 10:28 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

The best way to rid yourself of a root kit is by removing it via professional help or by doing a complete reformat and a clean install Windows.

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

Upgrading from windows 7 professional to ultimate - the only difference in the OS is the use of encryption anf the 35 language option in Ulitmate. The upgrade isnt much, those features are already there in the Os just LOCKED until the Key is inputed. But is you believe the rootkit infection was the problem, i recommend buying the Ultimate Disk and install it that way, removing any chance of the rootkit still being present, as cryptodan said, those are the only two ways, but you can never be completely safe from rootkits after infection, according to some beliefs.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

I do understand that, and that may be the route I have to take, but, I would like to try to do an upgrade to Windows Ultimate 1st. (I have a valid disk already.) If I do this, will Windows 7 Ultimate preserve my personal programs and files that are currently in Windows 7 Pro???

Thanks

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

I do understand that, and that may be the route I have to take, but, I would like to try to do an upgrade to Windows Ultimate 1st. (I have a valid disk already.) If I do this, will Windows 7 Ultimate preserve my personal programs and files that are currently in Windows 7 Pro???

Thanks

You risk a cleanly installed OS to become infected with the rootkit with this approach.

#8 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

I hear you. Thanks

#9 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:03 AM

But to answer you question, yes it will, it doesnt change anything except for what it unlocks, feature wise.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

Here is my 2 cents worth. Any time you down load anything,(files, programs, pictures,ect) from a old previously infected system to a newly installed operating system your risk of getting the old problem back is high. IMHO a clean install means nothing from old infected computer is put on the new system, period. The people that create these bad things can hide there code in many places and some times is several places. I would not use any cd's, dvd's thumb memory sticks, ect that was made by the infected computer. It's happened to me once. The question one might ask them self is, 1.) How did I get infected and what security did I have installed. 2.) What was I doing online,(downloading torrents, programs that have copy rights, programs free that aren't free )? One must be careful even with a clean system what they download and sites they go to. 3.) What security should I have active on my new system that will help make sure this doesn't happen again? 4.) Any thing like keyboards, mouse,printer, should be installed with c/d's that came with them and drivers updated from the proper web site.

Edited by Layback Bear, 19 July 2010 - 10:23 AM.

#11 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am still wrestling with this one. I'll post back and let you know what I had to do.

#12 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

Lesson to be learned:

Always backup the Registry before you delete entries willy-nilly.

Always run good virus scanners prior to doing manual deletion yourself unless you know for 100% certainty what you are removing and why.

If it is a horrible rootkit, upgrading the OS will possibly bring it over. Bad rootkits will require data backup and system recovery to remove fully, if you are doing it as a project. Otherwise, professional assistance is always recommended for severe infections. Oh, and when you extract the data for backup, scan it with a good AV scanner to help prevent migrating the virus to a clean PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users