Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cloning old to new Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 albinoking

albinoking

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

hey, i'm assuming some of you guys have done this or are familiar with the process.

i'm running a Dell xps410 with windows XP (sp3) my current HD is a (five year old) 250gb and the new HD will be
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136284

assuming acronis copies the partition over to the new HD, i'm not sure how to "expand" it to fit the new bigger one and make that C: drive. maybe i could do this in windows, i don't know. will this transition be problematic?

also, how much performance increase will i experience with this new HD ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 albinoking

albinoking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

ok, i think i am relatively comfortable with the process using acronis.

could someone please address my question on the performance/speed increase from a WD2500JS versus the newer WD1001FALS ?

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Speed and performance improvements from adding a new drive can be a tricky subject. Roughly speaking you should notice boot times to be slightly faster and programs loading for the first time after start up should be faster loading. After that much depends on the amount of system memory present. If you have a good bit of system memory, say 4 GB or so, you probably really will not even notice the difference during day to day operations. If you are running say 1 GB you would notice some improvement overall since information if constantly going to the page file.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 albinoking

albinoking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

thanks for responding.

it sounds as though there won't be much of a noticeable improvement in speed even though the data transfer rates are 60+ megs/s and 100+ megs/s respectively. your post got me thinking that i'd gain a similar amount by reinstalling windows from scratch (which i really don't won't to do). so, given the size improvement which is nice but not hugely needed, the lack of a noticeable performance/speed boost may or may not be a dealbreaker...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

If the average home user can comprehend...the listed speeds at which a system processes data...then he/she is a better person than I am.

IMO, that's the primary factor in your ability to perceive...a 'significant increase" in speed...we are talking about processing that takes place a level which the human brain may be able to measure...but probably cannot comprehend.

"Slow" and "fast" are, of course...relative terms.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users