Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK keeps restarting and computer wiil not boot up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lslbub76

lslbub76

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

CHKDSK keeps restarting after Windows XP tries to load up. CHKDSK runs through the 3 steps and says everything checks out okay but after windows tries to start up it goes right back into CHKDSK again. It will keep on doing this continuously until you power down the computer. I have ran the Windows Recovery from my startup disc that came with the computer with the chkdsk /r. I have also downloaded a Windows Recovery disc from the internet. But when it tries to load up I get 0X0000007E error message. Tried to start in Safe Mode but it will not go to Safe Mode. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Try following the above...and then running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 black069

black069

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:25 AM

I had a problem with Chkdsk similar to, but not exactly like, your described problem. Chkdsk just had a mind of its own, and this happened all of a sudden. Chkdsk would run from the recovery console, but as soon as I rebooted, the problems started again. Changing my registry settings back to a date in which Chkdsk was working fine (by using ERUNT) did not work either. And the solution given on Microsoft's Help Center was to update from XP SP2 to SP3. Problem is, I had updated to SP3 1-2 years prior.

The only thing that worked for me was reinstalling my OS, which in my case wasn't such a horrible thing because I had my computer for about 2 years and had not, to that point, reinstalled the OS....so it was definitely time.

I'm not having problems with Chkdsk anymore.

Hopefully you can find a way without having to reinstall your OS.

Good luck,

Scott

Dell Precision M6300 Workstation
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2 GB RAM
Windows Pro XP SP3
Sound Card: Sigmatel High-Definition Audio CODEC
Graphics Card: nVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M
Network Adapter: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users