Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Software Alert

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sbgrimes

sbgrimes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hello --

My laptop computer had multiple message windows open with "Antivirus software alert" and "Activate your antivirus software" included in them. I was able to get my Norton 360 to run using "Comprehensive Scan" option with selection to shut computer down when complete.

Several hours later when I restarted computer a message "Your computer is being attacked by an Internet Virus. It could be a password-stealing attack, a trojan - dropper or similar." appeared. I ran "Run LiveUpdate" option within Norton 360 and it completed normally. I ran Norton 360 again, this time using "Quick Scan" option with selection to shut computer down when complete.

When I restarted computer, no virus or trojan horse messages appear, but when I open Internet Explorer I get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." When I try to "Diagnose Connection Problems" I get a proxy server configuration error.

I don't know what to try next -- suggestions?
Thank you for your help!
Sara

Dell Inspiron laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo at 1.83 GHz
Memory: 3.00 GB
32-bit Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
Norton 360 Ver. 3.8.0.41

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cheredanine

Cheredanine

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

Hi,
sounds like you have either part of a trojan left or a version where thy messed up the proxy redirect.

On your internet explorer, click tools>internet options
(if you can not do this, mouse right on a desktop icon of IE and select internet options or do start>run, type Inetcpl.cpl and hit return)

on the window that appears click the connections tab

about 2/3rds of the way down on the right is the button "LAN Settings", click on this

on the window that appears, in the bottom half make sure "Use a Proxy Server for your...." button is not checked, if it is, uncheck it and click ok
click ok on the internet options window
try and use the internet

This will get you access to the internet but it does not remove the trojan. It may have been killed by your AV but running something else (I would uses Mbam but you may want to wait for one of the staff members to respond) would be a good idea

Also some versions of this virus will reset the proxy as soon as you exit internet options so if it reverts to not letting you then let us know

Edited by Cheredanine, 14 July 2010 - 05:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users