Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perfidious Font Formatting conundrum

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hi kiddies!

I asked about this problem awhile back in the section on E-mail etc and got no replies, so:

I'm running Windows XP-Pro SP3 on my dear old Dell w/ Pentium III 847Mhz, 348Mb ram, Online Armor Pro Firewall, was running Avira Free anitvirus, with Windows Defender/Antivirus disabled, no other anti-virus programs installed.

When Avira updated it would often make changes in system settings, screw up cookie handling and delete cookies, change text sizes & some display properties etc. Went to Avira forum and all I could find out there was that it sure wasn't Avira doing it! Hah! I watched things change on my computer right during and after updates, so....

I installed Avast! Free yesterday and computer is now 2-3 times as fast, like it used to be before Avira. Used REVO uninstaller and whacked all the stragglers from Avira.

My left over problem is that in Outlook Express E-mail the Rich Text Format was/is now partially disabled. I can make most changes like color, tabs, bold, italic, underline, paragraphs etc. as desired except for Font size.

The Outlook Express Rich Text Format active windows are there to make various formatting choices. I can change Font Style like Tahoma, Times New Roman, Ariel etc. and that works and is displayed in active Message window. I can change Font size info in formatting header window as desired just like before, but it won't 'take' in the displayed message. Displayed Text size remains the same regardless, can't be changed. After changing from Airel 12pt font to Ariel 16pt font it allows entering change, but when I click out to message it reverts to Ariel 12pt again. Cannot get System fonts back to normal either, almost everything wants to display too small.

Where can I get into XP-Pro to flip a switch or restore normal full Rich Text formatting control?

THANKS!!!

Edited by Spectacle, 13 July 2010 - 03:32 PM.

2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

<<When Avira updated it would often make changes in system settings, screw up cookie handling and delete cookies, change text sizes & some display properties etc. Went to Avira forum and all I could find out there was that it sure wasn't Avira doing it! Hah! I watched things change on my computer right during and after updates, so....>>

FWIW: I've been using Avira for probably 3 years or so...and I've never noticed any of the problems you claim to be attributable to that program.

Louis

#3 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi Luis! I'm familiar with your rather exceeding knowledge of computers and respect your judgement to the fullest. You have helped me a lot in the past, thanks! Don't know if you also used Online Armor in combination with Avira as I did. Your opinion is the same as that which I heard on the Avira Forum, and I respect those opinions based on their own experiences also.

However when I have machine settings in a particular way, and have the machine on at the time and I'm watching what's going on, and the Avira AV updates, and I then suddenly find system settings changed and NOTHING else has occurred as a variable: it's AVIRA that's doing it! Several different times, I might add. Also Avira would just about shut down the whole machine during updates, and sometimes blow it off the internet.

To be more specific, the machine was only connected to normal safe internet forum pages while updating, update finishes, go to my E-Mail Outlook Express and it's changed, and system fonts changed.

Doesn't really matter to me now what caused it and I didn't come to bash Avira. ONLY want to know how to possibly fix it.

I've tried every single Font, Text Size and Accessibility option change and draw a blank. I certainly don't want to reinstall Operating System. All I want is to be able to manage text size in Outlook Express.

Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

Well...IMO, part of solving any problem...involves a determination of what might be contributing factors.

If you want to believe that Avira is doing something to your system that it doesn't do to any of my systems...that's your preference.

Me...I would look at other things for possible causative factors.

Louis

#5 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hi ya, Luis!

Hah, I was just on my way here to post a clarification but you beat me to the buttons!

Please, I don't want to believe anything in regard to computers or software, that's NOT my point. I mean, I think Avira is an excellent Antivirus, certainly in the top 5 at the very least, most likely top 3 or even the Best! That's why I chose it the first time.

Yes, a lot of folks complained about problems updating but I'm not sure how valid that was as I only rarely missed an update, big deal.

I think my problem came from a conflict between Avira and Online Armor as they didn't ever want to play nice together. Online Armor would not update properly with Avira running, and I think when Avira updated the conflict with OA screwed things up. So, again, I'm NOT bum-kicking Avira, it's topnotch stuff.

All I want is to undo what ever did do the nasty on my computer 'cause it's driving me nuts, and it ain't all that far to drive if ya know what I mean... :~ )

Thanks!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

Does this happen with other programs like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and what not that also use Rich Text Formatting?

Screenshots would also be nice.

#7 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

Hi Dan!

The only one of those that I also use is Word and Wordpad, they seems to work just fine, only my Outlook Express got whacked. In the Outlook express everything else in Rich Text Formatting works fine, except for the dislpayed font size and changing font size in highlighted section.

I can choose any font for an entire document, but can no longer highlight a portion and change font size in specific areas of a message, could before. Cannot highlight and change font in an entire document either. I can still highlight and change colors or italics or bold, just not font size in highlighted areas.

I can still switch between Rich text and plain text.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

Try performing the following:

Outlook Express Repair Kit

Post back the results.

#9 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

I just opened Word, wrote short message, highlighted one word and changed font size from 12pt to 16, worked fine. Won't do the same in Outlook Express.

#10 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hi again,

From that M/S page link's instructions:
Reregister libraries
Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) are files that contain functions that may be shared by other programs, such as recognizing hyperlinks, displaying rich content, and so forth. These specific DLLs are used by Outlook Express, and can cause glitches in the visual display if they are damaged. Reregistering a DLL using regsvr32 is similar to reinstalling those functions and thus makes sure they are installed and working correctly.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

Each .dll registration worked except the last one which gave a popup:

Load library ("msjava.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

Soooo, looks like that may be the problem; a deleted module in .dll's ? Can these .dll's be found somewhere and loaded into system individually?

Thanks for the great tip, closest I've gotten in 6 months!

Note to anyone later reading & following: Be sure and hit space bar between regsvr32 and the chosen .dll.

Edited by Spectacle, 13 July 2010 - 11:35 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

MS Java Virtual Machine no longer exists. It hasn't existed for some time now. MS now uses Java from http://www.java.com.

So I would try reinstalling Java from the above Link and see if it solves your issue.

#12 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

Is that a nice way of saying I'm not exactly at the cutting edge of technolgical advancements? I'm shocked....

Okay, thank you, I'll give it a whirl and see what spins out!

#13 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:20 AM

I downloaded from the link. I'm wondering, should I uninstall all the old Java I have on the machine now?

That is, will my dated software of XP-Pro IE6 and related Outlook Express etc. recognize and run on the newer Java platform? I wouldn't think you'd recommend it otherwise, but best to check.

Thanks!

Edited by Spectacle, 14 July 2010 - 02:21 AM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:21 AM

I would highly recommend updating to IE7 or greater and installing SP3 if you havent already along with the latest Java.

#15 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:34 AM

Thanks, I had decided today that I'll be upgrading to IE8. I wanted to wait until bugs were squashed in the program.

I have SP3 and the quazillion M/S Security Patches, at least one of which caused a tremendous amount of grief. Computer STILL isn't the same!

But, without the upgrades right now will I still have functionality of Outlook Express with the new version of Java? I'd rather be missing the one little feature this thread addresses on Rich Text Formatting than knock out my E-mail program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users