Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer is Infected. Virus Reappears after Fresh OS Reinstall.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AndyfromMonday

AndyfromMonday

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

:Currently posting from my laptop:

4 days ago my World of Warcraft account got hacked. I scanned my computer using AVAST antivirus and SpyBot Search and Destroy. Sure enough, the little bastard was found and deleted. I proceeded to change my password and everything was fine. 2 days ago I decided it was about time to wipe clean my hard drives and reinstall the OS. I decided to reinstall Windows XP on the basis that it requires less resources. Sure enough, I did that and for about a day there was nothing wrong up until I installed AVAST. AVAST warned me about a virus threat. I pressed the "delete" button and the threat seemed gone until AVAST would again warn me that a virus had been found. I ran a scan and sure enough it found 6 viruses all of which it claimed it had deleted. The next day I couldn't log on(this was due to my own fault. I messed around with the wrong registry keys in order to delete the said virus) so I had to reinstall my OS again.

After the reinstall I started reinstalling my programs, antivirus(this time I went with Bit Defender) and games. My World of Warcraft account was hacked again and I immediately ran a scan using Bit Defender. It found 10 viruses, one of which was a generic trojan. It removed everything apart from that one. I couldn't quarantine it nor delete it. I downloaded a number of malware and adware removal programs(ad-aware, spyware doctor, trojan removal). Before I ran the scans I unplugged my computer from the internet, found the infected file myself and deleted it. Ran Spyware Doctor, it found a backdoor trojan. Ran trojan removal, it found nothing. Ran Ad-aware and it found another backdoor trojan. After the much needed restart my computer started working extremely slow. I opened up the task manager only to find that the majority of processes took over 40k to 50k(usually it would be somewhere around 1k to 10k for the majority) RAM to run. I re-ran Trojan Removal but it found nothing. I ran a bit defender scan but that found nothing as well.

I currently restarted the computer in safe mode and started doing a scan with Spyware doctor. I plan on doing another one with Ad-Aware, Bit Defender and Trojan Removal.

So, any ideas as to what might be causing this?

I can't remember the generic trojan's code but I remember bits of it. I know it started with a 2 and had double 3's in the middle and double 1's at the end. I know it's not very helpful but it's all I can remember.

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2010 - 02:37 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AndyfromMonday

AndyfromMonday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

The OS became unusable. Everytime I'd start it up it would take ages to even open up a program. I ended up trying to reformat and reinstall Windows AGAIN then upgrade to 7. I formated by drives using the Windows XP disc but when I tried to install it I got a "failed to install product catalogs". Is there anything I can do or should I just take it to a professional and hope he can solve it?

#3 ryan123131

ryan123131

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

If you full formatted and still the Virus remained before downloading any other files then you most likely have an MBR (Master Boot Record) Infection. My advice would be to install Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console and restart your computer, tap F8 or whatever the command is on your OS and open the OS choices menu and select the recovery console. type "FIXMBR" then if your prompted hit Y. I think you should wait for a Moderator to reply first though.

add me on msn: bugelz@hotmail.com

Edited by ryan123131, 15 July 2010 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users