Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Fan in my pc is running at a high rpm constantly.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Future Computer Tech

Future Computer Tech

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

I can't help but think that my pc may by infected with something, however there aren't any real visual signs of an infection. The pc is running with a 70GB hard drive (20GB free), it has 512MB of ram, dual core processor running at 2.3GHz (i think). For the past 6 months (or a little longer) the rpm of the fan has just been high for no apparent reason. I have throughly cleaned the inside with compressed air to make sure the air flow is adequeate. It is in the perfect place for adequate airflow! I ran Trendmicro Housecall and it found over 24 infections. However, everytime I run trendmicro I get the same number, 24 infections. The processor and pagefile usage is also unusually high. Even when no one is even logged into the pc, the fan is running a high rpm. Also ever when a user IS logged in, but no programs are running (other than the background services) the RPM is still high. Lord help if you start the internet browser, not to mention if you visit any site like youtube to stream video, the pc sounds like a plane engine!

Also, my free subscription with McAfee (from Comcast had expired over an year ago) and I need some programs (free) that will actively take the place of McAfee. Also please note that this fan speed problem didn't occur until after my subscription expire and the program was no long actively protecting my pc.

What do I need to do to accurately get this problem fixed on my own?

p.s. I successfully completed the cisco IT: Essentials course for PC Hardware and Software so im no where near a rookie when it comes do dealing with a pc in general. I just need help with this one!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

I have a suggestion for you for a perfect scanning program, in fact it is one of the recommended ones from the Malware staff here at Bleepingcomputer.

MalwareBytes, there is the free version that does an excellent job of scanning and detecting bad code here is the link.

Mawarebytes Anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/ please update it before doing a full scan.

Another great trusted scanning program below.

Spybot search @ destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html update it and run the scanner.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 July 2010 - 01:53 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 albinoking

albinoking

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:44 AM

not sure if this helps, but my XPS 410 (with windows XP) does exactly what you describe every once in a while when i plug in my phone to charge via USB. it does slow down to normal when i reboot. my guess for the issue is that i'm stressing the PSU (375w) with my 9600gt video card and the phone charging pushes it over the edge. good luck.

#4 Future Computer Tech

Future Computer Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

Actually guys, I fixed the problem! :flowers: I guess my IT Essentials class came in handy! :thumbsup: I had used compressed air in the past to clean the inside of the case and to blow dust off the grill in the front, but I never looked at the actual fan and heat sink themselves! A filthy mess. I removed the heat sink and both the CPU and case fans and used my vacuum to remove excess dust out the case. Then I took isopropyl alcohol and wiped off each blade and COMPLETELY cleaned both fans. I also used the vacuum to remove dust out the heatsink. I put everything back together now you can't hear a thing! Like brand new. Turns out the fan just couldn't move the air through the heatsink efficiently to cool everything down, so it started trying harder!

:inlove: Thanks to MrBruce1959, I did find over 20 things for SpyBot and Malware Bytes to fix. :trumpet:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

You're welcome!

Glad to hear everything is back to running as it should be again.

Make sure you use those two programs I suggested above regularly as they will help you to keep your hard drive clean of unwanted malware and viruses.

Also make sure you schedule an annul computer cleaning at least every 6 months and an internal inspection every month just in case.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users