Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail Account Security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 keybored

keybored

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hi -
I have a new hotmail accout. Please tell me if another person can access my hotmail account from another location. If I change the password is it secure and private?
Thank you for any help and info!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:29 PM

It is highly unlikely that anyone could access your Hotmail account from another computer unless they knew the account NAME and the account PASSWORD. While complete privacy of E-mail communication can be assured only by encryption, for all practical purposes keeping your computer safe from keylogging and malware, not divulging your password to anyone, and changing it periodically should assure its privacy.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 keybored

keybored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:39 PM

Thank you very much jgweed for your help!

Someone had been on my computer and i believe had both the password and the name. That person is now out of state and I have changed the password, but I still felt a little uncomfortable and wasn't sure.

Have a great day!

Edited by jgweed, 19 October 2005 - 03:03 PM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

If your computer is somewhere other people can have access to it, it is wise to password-protect Windows, and to never leave your computer on unless you are in view of it. My own computer case has a lock on the front that prevents anyone from even turning it on; I use this during parties, for example.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users