Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seagate ST3802110A Firmware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smohsen

smohsen

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

some time my os freeze (sometimes bad sound coming from hard )
i ask about that
result : i must upgrade Firmware
but i can not find that
can any one help i ?
I am always your's

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

As far as Seagate is concerned, there is no firmware update/upgrade.
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...&NewLang=en

Sounds like you may have an old hard drive about to die on you.

That page also has links for the serial number tool that you can use to verify there is/isn't a firmware update as well.

Edited by dpunisher, 13 July 2010 - 08:38 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 smohsen

smohsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

As far as Seagate is concerned, there is no firmware update/upgrade.
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...&NewLang=en

Sounds like you may have an old hard drive about to die on you.

That page also has links for the serial number tool that you can use to verify there is/isn't a firmware update as well.

result was : not any download available !
what can i do for my problem ?

Edited by smohsen, 13 July 2010 - 10:43 AM.

I am always your's

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

I would seriously consider a new hard drive. Since it is an 80 gig drive, it has to be a few years old. Hard drives fail.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

My question is which firmware is being suggested for an update?

Is it the hard drive's firmware or the computer's BIOS firmware?

It is not too often I see a recommendation to update a hard drives firmware.

The BIOS EPROM chip on the motherboard (which contains the BIOS firmware) is usually the only one that comes to my mind that would possibly improve/resolve any hardware issues.

Computer make and model please.

If your hard drive is making a very loud grinding noise or rattling noise, then this could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

You should be downloading a diagnostic program which I am including a link to in this post, save it to a floppy or cdrom disk and booting to that disk, then running the diagnostic software to determine of your drive is failing.

I am providing a link below that works with both Maxtor and SeaGate hard drives.

At this link download Sea tools for DOS it is in the second section. All that is required to download Sea tools is your email address for registration. No purchase required!!
Download Sea tools for DOS and put the program on a bootable cdrom or floppy disk, choose the drive you put the disk into as the first boot drive in your BIOS setup utility.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Your computer should boot to the disk and you can start the diagnosis and let it run its course, it will let you know if your drive has any issues.

Please keep us informed as to the out come.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 July 2010 - 11:39 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users