Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP a6500f will not fully turn on and beeps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 odius1983

odius1983

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:48 AM

I have an HP a6500f thats about two years old. It was running and I was turning it off using the powerbutton because it had lost display with our LCD TV and thats the only way I've gotten it to re-register with the tv in the past. When I turned it back on it started beeping from within the tower for about 15 seconds with a pause in between the beeps. The mother board is a FoxConn MCP73M02H1. I pulled out the Ram sticks and the beep changed its tone to a quicker beep. I've also reset all the connecteros and inspected everything with nothing noticably wrong. I pulled the bios chip out and it quits the beep without it. I've also pulled the little 4 prong connector coming from the powersupply and the beeping stops then as well, but it also kills all power. I slaved in a power supply from another computer and its still continued to beep. The fans and everything are running. Thanks for anyhelp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Did you look up the beep codes for that system...to see what the message might be?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3740339

Louis

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

A computer will usually beep if there is no video processor installed or the keyboard is not present.

Pulling the CMOS chip out without taking proper precautions first is not a good idea, the chip can be damaged by Electronic Static Discharge.

Also even if power is off to the computer, there is a CMOS battery which powers a portion of the CMOS chip to save settings such as current time and date.

I am not saying you damaged the CMOS chip, but there is still that possibility.

Please post the beeps and the sequence you hear.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 odius1983

odius1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

I can't find what beep code it would match. The beep last for about 15 seconds, pauses, then continues. This goes on continuosly.

#5 Just Micro

Just Micro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

I have one in our shop doing the same thing and I suspect this is being caused by the Nvidia 7100 video chip. This is another series of defective Nvidia chips that will cause all sorts of stupid things to happen. The fix, I believe, is to "reflow" the chip which isn't easy nor fun to do.

We may give it a try but it's generally too much trouble since a new board can be less than 80 bucks.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I do not know which operating system you originally had installed, so I am giving you a link for Windows Vista 32 Bit first.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...t=3740339#N1286

This is Windows 7 32 Bit. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3740339

Please note you can change the OS yourself in the drop down menu provided on this page.

I suggest you try updating and flashing your BIOS chip using a DOS version of the flash utility.

This procedure has to be followed right to the rule, or you could render your computer un-bootable!!!

The procedure also involves entering the freshly flashed BIOS EEPROM set up to load fail safe defaults, failure to do this could prevent the computer from booting again.

Sometimes you have to use the CLR-CMOS jumpers which are found on the motherboard, the CMOS battery would have to be removed from its holder to prevent a possible shorting out of the battery.

If you truly wish to perform this BIOS chip EEPROM flash and need additional advice, please let us know, that information can be provided for you.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users