Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop will not power up!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fat2000

Fat2000

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hi everyone, It's been a while since I posted anything here. So, here it goes. :trumpet:

I am having trouble turning on my Laptop "Dell Inspiron PP07L". I push the power button and I get a flashing power LED and no other activity. So, I then plugged in the Ac adapter to see if the battery was completely dead but still got the same blinking LED. Could it be that my battery has taken it's last charge? Or is this the culmination of a whole other problem consistent with this particular model from Dell? The following list is the information in particular to the Laptop and the AC adapter. I will let you know that I have recently purchased the AC adapter due to the fact that my original adapter is lost. Must have left it somewhere but that neither here nor there. On that note I haven't turned on my Laptop in 2 years let alone use it but because I needed an old Laptop to load Linux into well you get the picture. :flowers: ;

Laptop Computer
Make: Dell
Model: Inspiron PP07L
RAM: 2X 128mb PC2100 266mhz
HDD: Hitachi OEM 4200rpm ATA/IDE 20gig
Battery: Dell OEM Li-Ion Type U1223

AC Adapter
Make: Dell V85
Model: ADP-90FB (PA-9 Family)
P/N: 6G356

If any other information is required, please feel free to ask. I will comply. Thank you in advance for any advice or help that you all provide.

Frank :thumbsup:

Edited by Fat2000, 13 July 2010 - 12:04 AM.

"I wear my TUX to LAN parties!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am not sure if you are aware, the laptop also has another battery which is mounted to the motherboard, it is the CMOS battery and like any battery, those can go dead over time because they do keep a portion of the BIOS Roms settings time and date current.

I would suggest you look into getting another battery, after two years of being drained there is a chance it is time for a replacement.

Another question I have to ask is can you get the BIOS screen to come up on the laptop at all?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Fat2000

Fat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

I would suggest you look into getting another battery, after two years of being drained there is a chance it is time for a replacement.

Another question I have to ask is can you get the BIOS screen to come up on the laptop at all?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce and thanks for replying. I have tried to get the laptop to power up and it doesn't do that. I only gives me a flashing power LED in front of it nothing more. There is no way to get the BIOS screen up. Is it possible that with a drained or dead battery even though I plug in the AC Adapter, that it would not power up in spite of the fact that it is plugged in to a power source other than it's battery? I mean the laptop does not even flicker on the screen nor does it make any noise from the HDD or the fan. I hear nothing from it and there is no power up sound whatsoever. You say that this laptop also has a CMOS battery and if it was dead wouldn't it power up in spite of a dead CMOS battery? I am worried that if I spend the money on a new battery that I will be spending money in vane if the computer does not work, if that is the case then maybe I should consider purchasing a new laptop but I need this one to avoid voiding the warranty on a new when I install Linux into it. :thumbsup:

#4 Fat2000

Fat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Well, did some tests based on the Laptop's owners' Manual and I have concluded that I need to replace the Battery for the Laptop. Dell's official word is "Defective Battery" So now, I have to purchase a new battery and see what happens then. Thank you for your help MrBruce1959, I really appreciate your effort to help me. Thank you.
:flowers:

Frank
:thumbsup:

#5 Fat2000

Fat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Well, did some tests based on the Laptop's owners' Manual and I have concluded that I need to replace the Battery for the Laptop. Dell's official word is "Defective Battery" So now, I have to purchase a new battery and see what happens then.

I have ordered the battery I found a fairly good price and hope that it is all I need. I will keep everyone posted on this resolution and if the problem continues then I will insert the post here as well. Thank you everyone for your help and insight.

Frank
aka FAT2000 :thumbsup:

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Did you try removing the battery and just running off the AC adapter? Most laptops can run without the battery installed.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Please keep us posted Frank sorry I lost track of your post.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

I think if you remove the battery and running it with AC adapter you laptop will work...
and the faqs that you computer still not work then maybe the problem is not the battery...

quick question...please answer with running your laptop with battery mode...wait for a couple minutes (ON condition)...
~ what flashing light that blinking??? the position refer to???
~ does you can feel/hear the fan spining???
~ does your laptop still produce some heat on when it ON (with the problem occur)

geez...
what battery is we talking???
CMOS or laptop batery???

if cmos batery...you laptop still will have POST screen if cmos battery run out...

Edited by abauw, 25 July 2010 - 04:18 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#9 Fat2000

Fat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Did you try removing the battery and just running off the AC adapter? Most laptops can run without the battery installed.

Well, I did try that and the computer gave me the same result as it did with the battery on. Perhaps this particular Laptop can't run without the battery, AC adapter on or off.

quick question...please answer with running your laptop with battery mode...wait for a couple minutes (ON condition)...
~ what flashing light that blinking??? the position refer to???
~ does you can feel/hear the fan spining???
~ does your laptop still produce some heat on when it ON (with the problem occur)

geez...
what battery is we talking???
CMOS or laptop batery???

if cmos batery...you laptop still will have POST screen if cmos battery run out...

• The flashing light is the battery light when it charges it. It blinks everytime I press the power button.
  • There is no fan spinning nor any other sound coming out of the laptop.
  • No heat is produced because it does not turn on.
  • This the main battery not the CMOS battery.
  • No post screen nothing comes up on the screen in fact the laptop is completely dead.

Please keep us posted Frank sorry I lost track of your post.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Hey Bruce it's ok, I only hope that a new battery will solve my problem. I will keep you guys posted on the result of this solution. I don't know, maybe I do have a much more deeper problem than that but process of elimination is what I am going to use for this problem. Thanks for all your help guys and again I will keep you all posted.

Frank aka Fat2000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users