Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 95 Reinstall - Network Driver doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CitrusLime

CitrusLime

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

I have a REALLY old laptop (Panasonic CF41 MK2), I've been trying to reinstall Windows 95 on it and ran into some troubles. The network driver refuses to reinstall and work correctly, I've tried drivers I've found from the official panasonic webpage (Their installer stops half way through saying it can't find something), and of the drivers I have tried from other sites, none seem to work, making it very difficult to transfer files between the laptop and my computer (Wasting a CD everytime I need to send it a file :thumbsup:)

I really need help as this reinstall is starting to take it's toll on my stack of CDs, I've used around 6 now trying to fix this! :flowers: That's not good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

Maybe more Details?

Reinstall on WIN95 and 98SE meant completely wipe the HDD, by reformatting, and start again? you say that you need to Burn CDs from it. Sorry, you can not Burn a Cd from a reformated Drive.

I think we need more Information to be able to Help you.

Just remember that M$oft no longer supports many of their Versions of Windows.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 13 July 2010 - 02:40 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 CitrusLime

CitrusLime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

Maybe more Details?

What kind of Details? I don't know what else to say other than the network card is red and just says "Xircom". Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reinstall on WIN95 and 98SE meant completely wipe the HDD, by reformatting, and start again? you say that you need to Burn CDs from it. Sorry, you can not Burn a Cd from a reformated Drive.

No, you misunderstood. I have formatted the hard drive on the laptop and put 95 back on. But because I don't have a way to make floppies and the lack of network drivers, I have to use a CD everytime I want to send files to the laptop. I don't want to burn a CD from a reformatted drive.

Just remember that M$oft no longer supports many of their Versions of Windows.

Ray.

I am aware of this.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

drivers I've found from the official panasonic webpage (Their installer stops half way through saying it can't find something)

What does it say it can't find? Windows 95 is not very smart about finding the correct location for drivers. Often you need to note what the installer is looking for, search and find where it resides and direct the installer there.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 CitrusLime

CitrusLime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

Actually it's not Windows95 that can't find it, the driver installer runs as a MS-DOS Executable, and after running it and trying to install it, it displays this error:

SCRIPT FILE: INSTALL.DAT LINE: 1763 SYNTAX ERROR

"end of file"

was not expected

Press the [Esc] Key...

I looked for INF files to install in the Control panel, but there is none in the package. So I am very stuck. I'm pretty sure though there probably Xircom ones out there, but I have had very little luck finding them. (That and there's no identification on the card other than the word "Xircom").

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

I'd wonder if the installer package is corrupted.

Unfortunately, Toughbook Support has been updated so my previous registration is invalid, and it will no longer allow a registration if you don't also have a Toughbook product to register. So I can't do any searching there to see if I can assist.

Maybe someone with a current Toughbook Support account will notice this topic and try to help.

#7 CitrusLime

CitrusLime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

Ah I found my mistake. I'll post what I did to get it to work so in the future if anyone comes across this they can fix it themselves:

The PCMCIA driver must be PUT onto a Floppy, and installed in MSDOS. It won't work otherwise. Reason why I didn't do this prior was because I just copied it off the CD I burned it too. It never dawned on me to try this till about 20 minutes ago.

If you have a Xircom Driver in the Panasonic CF41MK2, it should just automatically install it without needing to find the drivers.

Thanks to everyone who helped out! I appreciated it very much! :thumbsup:

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

A good result. Thanks for letting us know how you sorted it.

#9 CitrusLime

CitrusLime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

No problem, I figured I would post it just incase someone is looking for the same thing and can't find it on Google, I know how frustrating it can be having been there not only today, but with other systems over the years.

#10 CompExpert

CompExpert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

The PCMCIA driver must be PUT onto a Floppy, and installed in MSDOS. It won't work otherwise. Reason why I didn't do this prior was because I just copied it off the CD I burned it too. It never dawned on me to try this till about 20 minutes ago.

Seems so obvious now, huh?

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Now you will be doing this: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:
Keeping computers humming since 2010.

I'm back after a long long time! :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users