Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from Windows Xp to Windows 7 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NeoStylez

NeoStylez

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hey guys,

I have a Upgrade copy of windows 7 pro and I recently cleaned my XP machine out with the help from this forum. But as noted the type of infection means i may not be able to trust this computer anymore.

So i figured i should Clean the system, backup what i can and move onto Windows 7 which has been sitting in my desk for some time now.

What is the best way using an upgrade copy to make sure nothing sneaks over during the Upgrade Install.

-Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

You can't upgrade from XP to 7.
It has to be clean installation.
Here is how to do it with "upgrade" DVD: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/...rade-media-dvd/

After installation, you have to scan all files, you backed up from XP, using your AV program.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

Not to step on Broni's toes here...sorry Broni. :huh:

But you can upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7, I have done it.

Here's where the problem lies however....the upgrade will work, but it will take your entire Windows XP WINDOWS folder and rename it WINDOWS.OLD, it will then create a new folder called Windows and install Windows 7 into it.

The only things that will remain intacted are any files or directories on C:

There is a program that you have to download from MS that transfers your system to a temp storage file, which depending on the XP hard drive size, the file can be quite large and require a lot of storage space.

Mine was 3 Gb. The transfer wizard as it is called, unzips the file and installs it into your Windows 7 directory.

How-ever you still have to re-install all of your programs again for them to work.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 July 2010 - 11:25 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 NeoStylez

NeoStylez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Thanks a lot

very useful

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

NeoStylez if you don't trust your old computer to me means you might not trust the old programs personal things,ect. because they might still be infected. If that is the case I would not install anything from my old system on the new system. I was there and decided to completely wipe the drive using Drive Scrubber 2 and installed Windows 7 O.E.M. Yes I lost some things but I would of lost them anyway if some bad things were transferred from the old system to the new one.

#6 NeoStylez

NeoStylez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

There are just some documents, photos ect that i need to bring over. No programs or installation files. I am going to independently scan anything that i backup to a separate hard drive and not bring it into the new system until my computer is fully loaded with the proper security software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users