Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion DV6000 - Won't post/continual reboot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 purplepolly

purplepolly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hi, I have an HP Pavillion DV6000 laptop. It will turn on (lights come on) but the screen remains black and it won't post. It does make some kind of sound but it doesn't really sound like the fan. It will stay powered up for 10-15 seconds and then reboot itself, and continue this cycle forever if I let it. Before it finally "died" I was having problems with the wireless network dropping a few times every night.

This laptop has already been sent into HP once, a few years ago, for basically the same problem, but it isn't under warranty anymore. I've done research online, trying to figure out the problem and possibly a solution, and I'm thinking it's the Nvidia chip. Does that sound right? Does it sound like I need to reflow the Nvidia chip? Or get a whole new motherboard? And if I need to reflow, does anybody know of a good manual or video I can follow to do it myself? Thanks!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Do you remember what was repaired when HP repaired it the last time?

The process of re-flowing is performed by placing the video card into an oven after it is pre-heated to 350 Degrees F.

The video card has to be stripped of any plastic parts that might melt. (If possible.)

The card has to be in the open for 10 minutes, then the oven is turned off and the card is left as it is, moving it may cause the liquefied molten solder to spill over causing solder bridges, which is not what you want.

Open the oven door and wait 30 minutes before attempting to touch or move the card.

Put back any plastic parts and re-try the card.

You may have to repeat the process a second time, if the first time fails.

More experienced electronically inclined people can repair solder connections by carefully using a low powered 15 watt grounded soldering pencil and a keen eye and steady hand under magification.

If that fails, the card has a defective component.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 July 2010 - 10:25 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users