Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stankonia

stankonia

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

Basically, my connection is beginning to stop or I guess die every once in a while. I am using a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem on a Local Area Connection and when I check the connection, usually the packets sent are significantly higher than the packets received (or vice-versa). This problem is causing issues with loading webpages on my internet browser as well as playing any online computer games. I've tried clicking "repair", but the connection still remains stagnant or the packets won't be sent or received at all. I am slightly confused as to what I should do to fix this problem...Recently I downloaded Windows Defender (maybe a couple days ago), so I am not sure if this could be the problem. But this has happened before to me, even without Windows Defender being installed, so I am unsure if it is related to the issue.

Thank you in advance for helping me. If you need anymore information please ask and I will do my best to supply it.

Edited by stankonia, 12 July 2010 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

First step: call your ISP to check your line and eventually ask for modem replacement.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 stankonia

stankonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Is there an alternative to fixing this problem without having to replace my modem? and when I called the ISP they said it was all fine. My internet browser runs normally now, though. This connection issue however, still remains when I try to connect online while playing games. The packets usually stop sending and receiving, when I open the game and then I am not able to play. I checked my firewall and the game is allowed and accepted by my anti-virus' firewall, so I do not know what is causing it to stop.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

when I called the ISP they said it was all fine

They always say, all is fine.
Tell them, the problem is intermittent and you suspect bad modem.
Modem replacement is included in your monthly fee.
At least, you'll eliminate one possibility.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users