Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking to buy a new desktop to abuse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rippingmyhairout

rippingmyhairout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

not sure if I'll get any advice on this topic either but I'm attempting to be an optimist. A MDG (opinions on their stock anyone?) coupon came in the mail today which got me considering buying a new computer.

I'll need something that can handle lots of gaming, the kids play Sims, Diablo2, Wow, Sacred etc. Lots of facebook and photos and utube. One child is getting into game design, photoshop and the like. Basically the computer is rarely off so I'll need something that can handle all that abuse within a reasonable price range (I expect paying something around $2,500 should be more than adequate, but correct my if I'm wrong) I don't think the kids have a bunch of stuff running at the same time but I could be misinformed.

I'm considering going to Best Buy to compare prices against the ones MDG offers since it's close, but am reading it's not very popular on this forum. I'm from Ontario, Canada if that helps steer me towards a better dealer. All input is greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

For $2500 you can get a NICE PC. I would suggest getting one custom built though. I believe Best Buy does this.

Edited by RainbowSix, 12 July 2010 - 09:27 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 rippingmyhairout

rippingmyhairout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

that sounds nice but I have no idea of what to ask for internally.... I'd be concerned that I would end up paying more for something I could have just bought off a shelf

Edited by rippingmyhairout, 12 July 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#4 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:57 PM

I always buy custom, for a couple of reasons. When you buy from a company, rather than one of the deals that are available, you get much better support, a operating system disc, which I always ask for, and all of the components are properly matched to prevent conflicts. My machine was only $1250. and does everything from gaming to office apps, to high graphic design programs.

My present machine is a Seanix. Unfortunately, they ended up in financial trouble, but their support is still exceptional. I was able to choose from several mother boards and video cards and check them out for reviews an compatibility on the net.

This company does much the same, and will try to match up the machine with what you want to do, as does Dell and HP. This one has the added advantage of being in Ontario.

http://www.buydirectpc.com/buy-pc/gaming-c...ing-system.html

#5 rippingmyhairout

rippingmyhairout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

oh that's awesome! I'll check it out now. Thanks for the help =)

it looks like a great site but I don't understand a whole lot of what I'm looking at :blink:

the towers list everything they include (optional) and I'm staring at the screen with a big blank stare lol.

also.. they don't show pictures or details on the keyboards and mouse (mice plural?) so I'm lost on those too really

*feels very out of the loop on todays technology*

Edited by rippingmyhairout, 12 July 2010 - 10:21 PM.

#6 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

A few survival tricks for computers and kids.

If it is going to see heavy use, look at the different options for cases as well. Some are very well set up for cooling, and others are not. Heat can be a real problem.

Instead of one huge drive, which also tend to run hot, I used two smaller drives; one system drive and one storage drive. The kids put all their saved games, and game mods, and junk on the secondary drive, which is more secure than having it on the system drive.

I have two CD/DVD drives, which was a good thing. When a disc blows up in one of them, the machine was still functional. Happy kids are quiet kids.

Hope that helps.

#7 rippingmyhairout

rippingmyhairout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

two drives might be a very good idea... I'll definitely keep that option in mind.

thanks again =)

#8 nqzdepofltr

nqzdepofltr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

I think you should try Alienware.
They are great for high use and gaming.
They are also not that expensive.

#9 Torn05

Torn05

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

Alienware does have really nice PC's, but they can be on the expensive side. But this also depends on what you call expensive. To me 2500 is quite expensive.

Edited by Torn05, 12 August 2010 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users