Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Removing Virus, Ie & Firefox Not Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 msullivan

msullivan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:23 AM

I hope someone can help!

I was hit with a virus and malware on Monday (accidentially opened and clicked on an e-mail w a link to a virus -- I thought I knew better!). I have rid my system of the virus -- at least according to Norton, Adware and Spybot.

When in safe mode w networking, I can open IE and Firefox and access the Internet.

But in normal mode, when I try to open either one, they hang. IE helpfully closes and says I should submit a report to Microsoft, which I have done. But Firefox just hangs, and then goes non-responding.

I assume something is stuck somewhere in my normal boot registry that is causing this (maybe a fragment of the virus trying to work or something?), but have reached the edge of my computer expertise.

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

//Mod edit: Moved from Windows XP/NT/2000/2003 forum to more appropriate.

Edited by KoanYorel, 19 October 2005 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:50 AM

Have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling, IE and Firefox?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 msullivan

msullivan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:09 AM

Wow -- quick reply. Thanks!

I did uninstall/reinstall Firefox, without effect. What's the best way to uninstall IE? I had thought that would make the system unstable? I guess I should uninstall both at the same time, and then reinstall them both?

Have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling, IE and Firefox?

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:11 AM

If your using XP see here.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

Try a fresh install of Firefox.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

Uninstall your current version from Add/Remove programs.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete this folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.
Then reinstall Firefox.

You might want to make a copy of Bookmark.html while your in there.
It's located here:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ user name \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.7dp \ Bookmark.html
That way you can replace the new one created, with all of your current bookmarks.

Edited by tg1911, 19 October 2005 - 03:47 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 msullivan

msullivan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:18 AM

I deleted Firefox and IE, and then loaded them back up. Same problem. I start IE, it hangs for a while, then shius off and i get an error message . With firefox, I click it but it does not actually ever start.

Anything else i can do?

Try a fresh install of Firefox.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

Uninstall your current version from Add/Remove programs.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete this folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.
Then reinstall Firefox.

You might want to make a copy of Bookmark.html while your in there.
It's located here:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ user name \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.7dp \ Bookmark.html
That way you can replace the new one created, with all of your current bookmarks.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:31 AM

Did you download a new executable for Firefox, or did you use one that you had already?
Did you replace the bookmark.html with your old one?

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:12 AM

Hi msullivan,

If your browsers worked in safe mode with networking, but don't work in normal mode then you most likely didn't get rid of the malware completely--that's pretty common. Something is still running in normal mode.

What was the name of the virus you removed?

In any event you're to the point where we need to see a HijackThis log in order to help you get that junk off your system and whatever else that doesn't need to be there. Please do this:

Click on the link below and follow the steps in that tutorial so you can get a log posted:
How to post a HijackThis Log

You can of course skip step 1. But be sure to follow all the other steps and use the links in the tutorial to:

1. Download the self-extracting HijackThis.
2. Open the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum to start a new Topic in that forum. It is important that you post your log into a new topic in that forum. If you have any problems here is a link again:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?act=SF&s=&f=22

It may be a day or two before you get an answer. But it is also important that you not post again to the topic you started asking for help or wondering if you will get help or otherwise "bumping" your thread/topic. In order to work on a first come-first served basis, helpers look for the oldest topics with zero replies.

BUT, once you receive a reply, stay in the topic that you have started. Do not start another thread.

Thanks and see you in the forum. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#9 msullivan

msullivan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 10:40 AM

Thanks, papakid! when i get home this evening I'll get running on this. I really appreciate your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users