Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resident Shield Alert(fake avg??)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 imoli92

imoli92

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

I keep getting random popups that say Resident shield alert(with the avg logo) Threat detected! File name: c:\Program Files\ESEA\ESEA Client\eseaclient.exe Threat name: Viruse identified Win 32/Themida Process name: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE Process ID: 412

ESEA client is a program i just installed and i need... Can anyone help me plEEEZE!??!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

All scanning tools are susceptible to glitches, bugs and false positive detections from time to time, especially if the scanner uses heuristic analysis technology. Heuristics is the ability of a scanning program to detect possible new variants of malware before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. The disadvantage to using heuristics is that it is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as suspicious or infected. If that is the case, then you can restore the file and add it to the exclusion or ignore list.

Anytime you suspect a detection to be a False positive, get a second opinion by submitting the file to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com.
In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit [upload] it for scanning/analysis.

If it is a false positive, then you should contact and advise the vendor that their program is being detected as a threat. In many cases they will work with the anti-virus techs in an attempt to resolve the detection. Most anti-virus vendors have instructions for file submissions posted on their web sites. Once a file is received, a technician can examine it in more detail and provide a report letting you know the results.

AVG FAQ 2436: What to do when I suspect any file it is infected?
AVG FAQ 2343: AVG detects infection on file that I suppose to be clean
AVG Forum: How To Handle Suspicious False Positive Detection?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users