Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the bottle neck in computers these days?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

I'm planning to build a new computer.

Like everybody else, i need the fastest computer a reasonable amount of money can buy. Sounds like the same old needs but...

I remember back in the 90's when the bottle neck was Hard Drives (size and speeds), and then it became the CPU's, and then it became the memory (size and speeds), and then the Internal Bus (size and speeds). (I remember playing the original King's Quest on my massive 20 Meg hard drive - yes: that's Megs and not Gigs.)

What is the bottle neck today? If i have the fastest and largest HD, Memory, CPU, Internal Bus, which is the slowest component?

(I would be using the computer for running complex algorithms and formatting of data contained in a very large database on the local machine. Some of the processes could run for a day or 2. No Gaming).

Edited by BlueGazoo, 12 July 2010 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

To name a few I can think of right quick.

The Internet connection can be the number one bottle-neck issue with todays streaming media. (several pieces of hardware play part in this issue)

The system BUS can still be bottle-necked if a device sends more data than it can possilby process.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

I agree about the internet, but i'll be doing the heavy processing locally only.

So you say the BUS is the main bottle neck? I know it's a difficult answer and it always seems to "depend" on this or that, but...

If it is the Front Side BUS, what is the largest FSB i should get? And is anyone planning on producing a larger FSB in near future?

#4 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

Here's an interesting article (if you have the time and bandwidth :thumbsup:...
I think this answers my questions with : get the fastest mofo possible... ?

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

as far as just the computer itself (not counting internet) I think it would vary depending on the computer and what components you use, and the setup. With my computer, Its the hard drives-Im using a RAID 1 array, which actually slows down hard drive speed (the reason for it is the redundancy, everythings backed up in case one drive fails) With the CPU being the next biggest bottleneck. With most store bought computers, often its the video card in desktops, and the CPU in laptops. Bus speed can be a bottleneck, especially with intel based CPUs (sorry intel fans, but your bus speed is rather slow though its better with the i series) While AMD CPUs have a much faster bus, so that isnt their bottleneck, but they arnt quite as fast either. . . so you gotta weigh the pros and cons and figure out exactly what you want to build the computer for.

Here are some things to focus on, on any computer, never skimp on the motherboard or PSU. they are the backbone, you want good quality, with lots of room to upgrade in the future. You can skimp on the other components and upgrade them later, but dont skimp on those 2.

If your into graphics intensive games like crysis or say Battlefield bad company 2, a decent 2.8+ ghz quad core, 4 gigs of ram, and high end video card(s) (dual GPU setup is very handy) are probably what your going to want to focus on. Especially the video cards, 4 gigs of ram is a must but you dont need to go to extravagent, a decent quad, AMD or intel, but definetly buy at least one high end video card if not to. If your more into games like WOW, a high end quad core, and at least 4 gigs of really fast memory, are probably more important, because they are more CPU intensive instead of graphics intensive. You will still likely need a decent vid card, but prolly only in the higher midrange cards.

If you just want a HTPC or home computer, dual core CPU, 4 gigs of ram and mid range video card should do you fine.

If your looking to do a lot of storage, like server, turning it into a DVR, etc. spend more money on the hard drives. with gaming and movie watching, a single 250 to 500 gig HD should be fine, but if your going to be storing and accessing a lot of data on your hard drive, getting multiple hard drives and putting them into RAID 0 or other raid formats that include striping-will greatly improve your search time. Spending the extra money on the 10,000 RPM or SSD drives would be a good option then to.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for all that!

(I forgot to mention that it wont be used for Gaming. So i don't need a wicked graphics card.)

Few more questions:
  • How high can i go with the Ram before it becomes wasteful? Are there good programs out there that can test the amount of RAM a program uses (so i can do some benchmarking)?
  • A high end SCSI is 10'000 RPM's. How fast is that compared to an SSD Drive? I know SSD's don't rotate, but what would their equivalent RPM be?
  • Are SSD's reliable yet? If not, I was going to compensate by only doing the processing on it, but not actually store too much data on it.
  • I would probably get a 2TB Drive (because i do need space for storage). Does having a larger drive (regardless if it is being used or not) slow the overall performance of the puter down? What is the ideal % balance for Used and Free space? It used to be "never have less than 20% free". Is this the same for these 2TB drives?

Edited by BlueGazoo, 13 July 2010 - 12:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users