Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Desk top will not boot.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cmaze

cmaze

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

I have a dell Dimension E520 desk top computer (approx 3 yrs old). Vista Operating system. I went away for 4 days. Upon my return, I was trying to turn computer on and got no response just a flashing amber power button. I had shut off power strips and unplugged as well as unplugging my cable connection from the wall, to prevent any power surge/storm surge incidents. I checked message boards, one suggested disconnecting all components from motherboard and turning power on with each added component. I did this, but got no response upon pressing power button (carefully draining power depressing power button, unplugged with each added component). All I saw was the slowly flashing amber light on the mother board and front of the box on the power button with no effect on any other components (ie could not hearanything powering when I pressed the power button to boot up).
I also checked the power on different power strips to rule out any problems from that. My wireless network and internet connection are in working order as I am connected to the net by that system with my laptop.
While plugged in, I went to get lunch, computer turned itself on, now green lights beeps 6-8 times, shows 1, 3, 4 illuminated (no number 2), then gets stuck with the number 1 illuminated, fans on and hard drive spinning. I have tried starting the computer with peripherals attached to USB ports as well as nothing attached. The result is the same, the computer gets stuck after several beeps, with the number 1 illuminated (green hue).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First lets get the support pages up here for your computer http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...DIM_PNT_P4_E520

Next owners manuals and service manuals to help you trouble shoot your system. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...20/en/index.htm

While you access those manuals and save them to your desk top, I'll be back with further assistance. :thumbsup:

Bruce
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Here is the beep codes list for your system Dell dimension E520 computer.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1056390

Continued support forth-coming.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

This is the diagnostic lights section, please compare the status of those lights to this list here. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1056411

Post back what you have determined to be the cause, as only you can see the lights you see and count the beeps you hear.

With that information, we can now offer you advice to correct the problem with your computer.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

#5 cmaze

cmaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for the information, but I am unable to troubleshoot as I received a bluescreen error on my lap top that I was using to access info on troubleshooting my desk top. Bad week on computers with me. :thumbsup: Lap top is locked up, wont start in safe mode and wont get by one click of mouse without locking up, unable to even run diagnostics, or at least see the results of the test.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

Sorry to hear your having all the issues you're having. :thumbsup:

Hopefully you can get some results one way or another.

Bruce.

#7 cmaze

cmaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

Bruce:
I talked to a friend of a friend and he helped me troubleshoot the powersupply, because it was difficult to get the system to boot (with any green lights, rather than just flashing amber)and give any signals. We tried an old power supply, went into the BIOS and determined it was noticing everything else, so I bought a new powersupply (Antec Earthwatts 430W). This has added power relative to the 305 W that came with the original box from Dell.

Question and I am not sure whether I should be starting a new thread: After installing the new powersupply I am not getting any sound. In the control panel it shows everything to be working properly I have tried to uninstall the driver and boot, and reinstall the driver, and reboot but with no success (Sigmatel High definition Audio Codec).

The speakers are plugged in and powered, and you can hear them when you plug the wire into the back of the computer. Also as the system is booting up you hear a doink, from the speakers then get no sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users