Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP full of garbage?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AhrenFox

AhrenFox

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

My wife has a Dell Latitude D600 or 620 dont remember off hand, with 1GB of RAM and is running MS Windows XP Pro. She has a 30GB hard drive and she's had this computer for a good couple few years (was brand new when I bought for her). We started noticing that, well over time you aquire and download and add files and programs and pics and so on and so forth and the hard drive was getting full. I bought her an external hard drive and she has been putting all music, pictures, documents and what programs she can on the external hard drive. Now the hard drive on the computer is still getting full and she has moved all she can and deleted and or uninstalled everything she can and would give up. She has run CCLeaner, defragged, ran the windows disk cleanup utility, Ive gotten in there and got rid of some more left over garbage like she really needed to clean out her Outlook and an ungodly amount of those Uninstaller folders. BUT still there is no room, as a matter of fact she ran a cleaner after getting off the internet just last night and instead of gaining some space she lost it, she went from 2.23GB of free space to 1.99GB of free space and this after running CCLeaner. Is there some other XP dipository of garbage that would allow for more space. We dont want to wipe and reinstall because she has a couple of rather expensive programs that she has lost the product key for and the disks she cannot find. Is there more better cleaners or is this how computer companies make you need to upgrade? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

A 30 GB drive is really a bare minimum size for XP as you have found out. The inital install will be fine but the addition of drivers, hot fixes, updates, and service packs will overload the 30 GB drive easy. 500 GB IDE drives are in the $80 (US) range right now. You can use software to clone the existing drive to the new one so you don't lose your programs. Most drive manufacturers offer a free limited version of this type of software for free now too.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. I will see what I can find that I can do without causing mass trauma and disembodiment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users