Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A good Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

Need some suggestions:

My current video card (NVidia 8400 GS, 512 ram) is having a heat issue. I have determined that the fan has quit working and I need to purchase a new card. Since the old card wasn't that special (my Windows Experience Level was low due to this), I would like a decent card for the money.

My main use of this pc is to store and play my movie library. I have over 800 movies on external HD's attached via a USB hub to the computer. I don't do any gaming and my display is a 50" Vizio 1080P monitor. This is attached to the pc via HMDI cable.

I have read on Cnet that both the Radion and NVidia cards switch quite often on who is best. I have tried to get some decent impartial opinions on the net, but most sites are just trying to sell you the product.

If anyone has any suggestions and reasons which product would be best for my use please help me out.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hello Golfdude,

For under $100 I would recommend an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT or GTX w/ HDMI (512 MB). In my opinion, a great card coming in at just under $100 now if you shop around a bit (check Newegg.com). You will notice a huge improvement over your current 8400 GS.

Not sure if you are aware of this either, but with Nvidia cards (8400, 9600, 9800) the first number represents the series type, and the second digit normally represents the performance level in that series. With that being said, an 8400 would be outperformed by an 8800, a 9600 by a 9800 etc..

I spent almost $300 for my 9800 awhile back, and have had no complaints with it. I watch HD movies on it, have played a number of graphic intensive games and really pushed it to it's limits and am pretty impressed with it.

Also, the 9800's are not the latest flavor of the month (or few months), and they have slowly came down in price. Well worth the money now.

Good Luck with whatever you choose,

bwest0703
Posted Image

#3 xNova

xNova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

I have an nvidia 9600Gt 512mb. It cost me about $150 at best buy a year ago. Sophomore maybe right with the price it has now but I can't say I'm sure. If your going to get a better card, I recommend you also get a better power supply to power the card. Without a power supply your card won't last very long.

#4 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Bwest0703 & xNova,

Thank you so much for replying to my thread and with your suggestions.

I know I said under $100.00, but I noticed at Best Buy for under $110 they have the newer GeForce GT 240 with 1 GB of DDR 3.

Also, for under $125.00 they have the GeForce 9800 GT with 1 GB of GDDR.

So say I dig a little deeper in my wallet (and who can't ever rationalize doing this)- which is better?

Not to mention, the Quadro NVS 290 sounds pretty cool- even though I don't understand half of the buzz words :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users