Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps turning off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ross TPO

Ross TPO

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Hey,

Over the last two days, my computer has turned itself off several times - just like someone has pulled the power to it. When I try to turn it back on, nothing happens but if I move the plug to a different socket, it turns back on no problem. The first time it turned itself off, a message about "overclocking" appeared so I just told it to reset to default settings. The message never appears again during future start ups.

For some reason, the fan popped into my head. Would the fan not working cause the computer to turn itself off? I had a look at the back of my computer and the fan wasnt going round. Should the fan be on all the time? Or does it just come on when the computer is hot?

Are there any checks that can be done to find out what the problem is?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

If you have a fan that has stopped working...yes the computer will shut down to protect its self.

If unplugging the power supply cord corrects the problem, this means your power supply was reset from a safety shut down feature built into the power supply.

Please check the cooling fan in the power supply to see if it is spinning properly. If not replace it ASAP, they sell replacement fans for power supplies.

Make sure your computer is not a victim of dust accumulation, specially inside the power supply and cooling fans.

If you see dust accumulation its time for a thorough cleaning with a can of compressed air, blow all the dust out of that computer case.

Make sure none of your heat sinks are caked with dust.

If none of the issues is true, your power supply may be failing, it could be time for a newer more powerful replacement.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Ross TPO

Ross TPO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

Looking at the back of the tower, the fan isnt turning at all. I presume there is only one fan in the tower?

Do you think it might be an idea to open the case up and clean out any dust that is inside? Is there a chance that this may make the fan work again and it is just a build up of dust?

What is a heat sink?

Thanks again.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

To see what an assortment of heat sinks look, like click this link http://www.google.com/images?q=heat+sinks&...=21&ndsp=21

If your fan on the back of your computer is not spinning, it is either worn out or jammed from dust build up.

First try cleaning the power supply and computer out, remove all caked on dust with a toothbrush.

Try turning on the computer to see if the fan resumes spinning. If not, the fan is worn out and has to be replaced, or the power supply will continue shutting down to protect its self.

You can order replacement fans on line or from a computer store.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 July 2010 - 01:50 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Ross TPO

Ross TPO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Well, I managed to take the cover off the computer, get into the power supply box and clean the fan and heat sinks but unfortunately the fan still isnt working.

The power supply unit is an EZ Cool ATX-450 JSP. Could you possibly recommend a good website to buy a new one from?

Are they easy enough to fit? Just from looking, it looks like its just a case of unplugging the old one and plugging in a new one as its a self contained unit?

Thanks again.

#6 ZaneTech

ZaneTech

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:17 AM

Not having too much experience with replacing a power supply myself, i'm sure if the connectors are the same (and the correct power rating is used), it shouldn't be a problem. Plus, I do believe they are as easy to fit as you say they are. I recommend these two sites:

http://www.dabs.co.uk

http://www.misco.co.uk

Or you could try having a further look around online or in stores such as Maplin.

#7 Ross TPO

Ross TPO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:52 AM

Thanks for the info.

I had a quick look on ebay because I couldnt find the exact model anywhere online. The computer is 4 years old so I presume they have stopped making it. I came across this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/450W-ATX-Low-Noise-P...=item43a0249cd3

It looks the same and has the same wattage. Its an ATX-450. Would this be compatible? And will it come with the same fitting as my current one?

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users