Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Build

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Torn05

Torn05

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

My first question is are all of these compatible/worth the price? I'm 90% sure they are but this will be my first build so this is just to be safe.
Wind Tunnel Case
Hard Drive
MoBo
DVD-ROM
PSU
RAM
CPU

Now, This PC is supposed to be a gaming rig (mid end) and i am aware that i dont have a GPU posted. As a matter of fact, i am on a reeeeaaalllyyy low budget, as in I don't even have the money for the components above yet. I was considering asking my parents to buy me the GPU. Also, I know I'll need more RAM which I plan on buying 4gb (2x2) later on.

And my second question involves stream processors. Is there any noticeable difference between 118 streams and 128? Also, what are they and what do they do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

I would make these changes:

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 $39.99
MoBo: ASRock M3A770DE $59.99 [REQUIRES A GPU]
DVD: ASUS 24X $18.99
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US $69.99
RAM: Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM $44.99
Front intake fan: APEVIA CF12S-BK $4.99

I didn't calculate it exactly, but I believe the above should save about $50 total. In fact, you could get 4GB of RAM total if you wanted.

As for stream processors, I really don't know. Better cards typically have more, but NVidia and ATI use them differently so you can't necessarily say how good a card is by the number of stream processors.

Edited by RainbowSix, 12 July 2010 - 02:29 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Wow, thanks! I get more ram, and save around 45$. I changed all of the components except the mobo. I don't know why but I want the one I put down. It has better reviews and it's only 5$ more.From what I read my processor can only read ddr3 1066 anyway and the only that mobo has 1600 which is higher than my selected mobo, but if the processor can't read it it that won't effect anything.

Edited by Torn05, 12 July 2010 - 03:45 PM.

#4 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Wait, would i be better off getting this and upgrading the GPU?
Acer Aspire

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

You can't upgrade that because if its mere 220W power supply. I'm surprised that's enough to run anything.
That CPU can use memory rated for higher speeds. The memory will simply be slowed down.

The motherboard you had selected has only one PCI-e slot and two memory slots. The ASRock one has two PCI-e slots for ATI crossfire and four memory slots. It's definitely the better buy, especially for a budget build. You can buy a cheap ATI video card and add another one later to get more performance rather than having to buy a new one to replace the old.
I've also heard that MicroATX motherboards have heating issues.

Edited by RainbowSix, 12 July 2010 - 05:02 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

I would buy a different motherboard from the AMD 8xx chipset series as they come with more features and have a slightly better integrated graphics card. These motherboards are a little more expensive like the ASRock 880GXH/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard. I also would not go for MicroATX boards unless you're aiming for an HTCP as they can have heating issues. Don't forget, you also need to buy a copy of Windows 7 64-bit which will cost $100. To put it simply, and I'm coming from multiple sources, stream processors are like simple versions of CPU execution cores. Because they operate slowly, ATI and Nvidia pack many onto a GPU to create a very fast overall card with high computational power. Unlike a CPU, GPU stream processors cannot process different operations at the same time, like encoding and rendering at once, as they use SIMD. You can, however, run the same operation on a large number of the same items at once, such as encoding multiple files or rendering several frames. ATI and Nvidia both have different takes on using stream processors.

3939.png

#7 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

K, ill use that mobo(rainbowsix) simply because I truly need to stay as cheap as possible with the highest quality. So I don't really need a full case than? i can use a mid and have enough room?

#8 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

I was browsing around and noticed a few people saying games like crysis require quad core. Sould I get a Quad core instead of a dual core then? I am reeaally limited on $ at the moment but I might be able to get a dual now, and save up for a quad. Would that make more sense?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

Crysis does not require a quad core but it is suggested. The problem is cost, quads are anywhere from $50 to $100 more than a dual core CPU. You can use mid ATX case, however, if you believe you are going to upgrade to the high-end graphics cards, like the Radeon 5870, or using Crossfire, you may want to get a full ATX case. You still need to choose a graphics card. You can play Crysis on a dual core with a mid-range graphics card, but expect to be shelling out $100 to $200 more if you want to play that game with the graphics turned up and even then FPS may be lower than you would like.

3939.png

#10 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

I was looking at this mobo Gigabyte mobo and it supports 1333DDR3. When I looked for t 1333DDR3 on newegg there were 3 speeds. 10600 10660 and 10666. which does this board use? Any? I was also told to look for voltage. Where do I find this? It's not in the details and the "what memory should i get" thing on newegg didn't have this model.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

DDR3-1333 memory is a little odd with those slight differences in numbers. They all should work and the RAM's voltages are found in the "specifications" or "details" tab. For some reason, Newegg likes to display different product pages on some items. I suggest getting one with a 1.5 voltage, such as:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL - Get this if you want a single 4GB stick of RAM.

or

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - Get this if you want to save a little cash and get two 2GB sticks of RAM.

Edited by DJBPace07, 16 July 2010 - 10:37 PM.

3939.png

#12 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

Alright, now that I know all this i've setup completely different parts (better mostly) and saved due to combo deals. Does this look good?
DVD Drive
Hard Drive
RAM 2GB DDR3 10600(wanted more it's just the budget. Will get more when possible)
Windows 7 OEMShould I get this or the retail edition?
Case & PSU combo
Mobo & CPU combo

Im not sire what I'm gonna do about a GPU just yet but I think I'm going to see if my parents can buy it for me.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

Will the parts works together? Yes, but I ask that you keep a few things in mind before making this a final list.

1. Yes, you can use Windows 7 OEM. The differences between the OEM and retail versions are mostly related to the license. Microsoft defines a PC based on the motherboard. The OEM version is paired to your motherboard, if you get a new mobo, you need a new license, however, there is nothing technically preventing you from just simply reinstalling all over again. Retail licenses can be moved between PC's, but never installed on more than one at a time.

2. I'm reluctant to suggest that motherboard and CPU combo for a gaming rig. The motherboard uses an older AMD 7xx series chipset, but the 8xx series is out now. This new series allows for SATA 6 and USB 3.0, which will be helpful for future upgrades. The ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard is the 8xx series equivalent to the AMD 770 chipset. If you're playing older games designed with dual, not quad, core CPU's in mind, that CPU will be fine, but if you are playing higher-end games that really push the CPU, a quad is suggested. The AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz is a good alternative. However, the Phenom II line has better performance than a similarly clocked Athlon II. For the Phenom II, the AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz is a lower-cost alternative, for a Phenom II, that should run well.

3. 64-bit Windows is best used on a PC with 4GB or more of RAM though it can be installed and ran on systems with reduced amounts of memory. Keep in mind that items in memory on a 64-bit system take up slightly more space, which isn't an issue on systems with 4GB or more of RAM.

4. With the GPU, you are pretty much limited to AMD/ATI GPU's if you want to Crossfire. A solid mid-range graphics card is the ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore since it offers excellent performance vs. price.

3939.png

#14 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to build the cheapest possible PC that can play the newer games the best. That build(The components I selected) adds up to 475.92 + shipping so pretty much 490$. I think What I'll do is get this for now, get more ram, than get a x6 core. I'm not too worried about usb 3.0 or sata 6 so I think I'll stick with the cheaper board. I think I'll get that gpu too. Thanks for the help.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

What I wrote was for optimal conditions where more money would have been spent. That motherboard in the combo you have is an AMD 870 motherboard and not a 770 chipset motherboard so you're good there. Also, you probably don't need a six core CPU unless you run very highly threaded applications, like Handbrake. Games can barely take advantage of four cores, let alone six.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users