Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winXP pro freezing and long logon delay

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ArcLite

ArcLite

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

I have a custom ibuypower PC with XP pro that has been running fine for three years.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
2 GB PC6400 RAM @ 800mhz
[crossfire] Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Chipset
2x ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB PCI-Express x16 running in crossfire mode

The problem:
The thing freezes, sometimes one minute after log on, sometimes three hours after logon, I get a complete lock up, no keyboard, no ctrl-alt-del, no mouse nothing. If I let it sit at the log on screen for two to five minutes without logging on it will freeze. Still have never had it freeze in safe mode.

Symptoms that may be related:
1. After logging on it takes at least one full minute to get access to the start bar, during that time I can ctrl-alt-del and see CPU usage at 0%, I have next to nothing on the task bar, or in startup to justify a long load time (this delay was not there before the freezing problem)
2. I can no longer launch outlook express (I think I have a corrupted identity)

Things I have changed recently:
Before the freezing occurred I updated my ATI drivers because I had a screen flicker that I could not figure out.
Since the freezing has occurred i have turned my automatic updates back on (was off for about the last six months) I am now on SP3
Since the freezing has occurred I have rolled back the ATI drivers, uninstalled and re-installed both graphics cards, physically pulled and re-seated the graphics cards.

Please help.
Thank you,
-charles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

Please try the following.

Boot into safe mode.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All.

Then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

You might also conduct checks to remove the possibility of overheating.

How to Avoid Overheating - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#3 ArcLite

ArcLite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Thank you for the help, but I do not get a BSOD with my crashing/ freezing.
I did try that BSOD viewer but it only found one dump file from 2007.
Everything just stops responding, the screen stay the same. I can't even change the lights on the keyboard (caps lock, number lock)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Then...it may be a heat issue.

Louis

#5 ArcLite

ArcLite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

Ok. I cleaned the case, fans, and all heat sinks, and added another case fan. Air is moving very well threw the case which is sitting in front of a air conditioning register. I do not think that heat is an issue. Still the problem happens at random. Some days it will go all day doing high demand graphics and CAD with no freezing, other days five minutes after logging on it freezes, the PC is left on 24/7 and every morning it is froze. Still have not had a freeze while in safe mode.

Info that might help:
Today I got a script error after logging on to windows. after the minute and a half wait for access to my start bar this showed up:

Line: 65
Char: 1
Error: Object doesn't support this action
Code: 0
URL: file:///C:documents%20and%20settings/bill/application%20data/microsoft/inernet%20explorer/desktop.htt

I do not have anything on that would require the active desktop. I use Firefox not IE. And my OutlookExpress will not open (no errors, when I launch it I get an hourglass for about 1 second then nothing) I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and now get the error:

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I cannot find any problems/errors in the device manager.

Please help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

Well...there's only 1 "device" which is associated with email and that's the NIC. i don't know what to make of your Outlook Express message.

IMO...anyone who bothers with script errors...just doesn't understand the nature of such and probably needs to disable notification of such. Script errors originate from poor programming by applications that are Web-related...not a thing a user can do to impact script errors originating from a website or a given program.

Which is why so many persons just disable script error notifications.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293623, see Manually Disable Script Debugging.

Louis

#7 ArcLite

ArcLite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

You are correct I know nothing about scripts. I am just at my wits end trying to find what is causing my problems, and this script error showed up right after I logged on to windows. I thought it came from IE which should not have been running, maybe it was from windows, again I know nothing about scripts or if they could be harmful in any way. I was just happy to see any error message from anything.

The only thing that I can figure is that it must be a hardware issue, my best guess is an under powered power supply it is only 380W, however, it has ran fine for years.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you all.

#8 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Then I read your message, was I thinking about a dirty Windows register and a bad volume.
What I can saying is, it is important that you take care that you have a clean Windows register and a good volume.
When the register is dirty and then also a bad volume, then is it possible that you get problems just like freezing and over heating or what you told, sometimes hanging up the system.
Also is it important that you take care that you once a time clean the inside from your computer.
When a Cpu-cooler is closed with dust, then get you that the Cpu will be over heating.
Your problem is difficult, but I think that it is smart that you clean your pc. after that, then when you have a repair partition, start up your pc. in the repair partition and run chkdsk /p then repair /r .
When you have to do that, then clean the Windows register via CCleaner.
I think that your problem is then over.

The link to CCleaner is here below:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

Do NOT run any registry cleansers, please.

You will only compound your problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users