Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random reboot, then hard drive is not recognized

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dburress

dburress

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

xp machine will boot fine, but after anywhere from 2 hours to 2 or more days, the machine will reboot for no reason. bios notes that boot order has been changed and the hard drive is no longer recognized.

i've replaced hard drive and 80pin ata cable all to no avail. is this a virus or a genuine hardware problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I do not think your problem is virus related.

It does not make sense if you replaced the hard drive.

Your having a hardware issue.

If you could please post your computers make and model number.

The brand name and type of hard drive you are using. (is it E-IDE/PATA or SATA?)

We will be able to assist you better.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Have you run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive? Did you replace the hard drive with a new one?

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2010 - 11:54 AM.

#4 dburress

dburress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

i ghost'd the old drive to a new one while it was running. so it's possible that i just transferred the problem to the new drive.
the system is a "great quality - gq3121" frys electronics generic.
the hard drive is a maxtor d33019 e-ide/pata, using an 80 pin connector.

i'll try the diags links that you sent and report back on results.

i also have hiren boot cd 10.5 and ran a disk diag from it and it found nothing. there are several other on it. i may give them a try also.

Edited by dburress, 12 July 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

I read that your saying your drive is disappearing from the BIOS, therefore it is not being detected each and every time the system is booted, or randomly is or isn't.

This sounds to me like a data cable problem as the first thing you need to look into.

Make sure the cable is not damaged in any way, check those ribbon wires going into the E-IDE plugs on the data wire, also make sure those are plugged firmly into the E-IDE ports on the motherboard.

I would unplug the plug on the motherboard and run a toothbrush across the pins to make sure they are clean, it has helped in situations like yours that I have seen before.

Make sure the plug on hard drive is firmly in its socket.

Make sure if you have two devices on same E-IDE cable you have one selected as MASTER and the other selected as SLAVE.

Reboot system.

Make sure you enter the BIOS setup utility first, you need to be sure both or the single drive is auto detected by the BIOS, then choose as first BOOT device then exit and save to CMOS by hitting F10, say Y for yes and allow system to reboot.

Please post back if problem persists or has finally gone away.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 dburress

dburress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

actually i did find a small break in the data cable and i replaced it with a new one to no avail.

interesting also is that i caught the machine while it was trying to reboot before it closed out all the windows.

i ran eventvwr and found some interesting errors:

7/13/2010 12:13:44 source disk, event 51 - an error was detected on device \device\harddisk\0\d during a paging operation

7/13/2010 12:13:44 source atapi, event 26 - the driver has that device \device\ide\ideport0\ has old or out-of-date firmware. reduced performance may result.

looks like i need to find a bios update for this motherboard. it's an ECS 741GX-M.

where else can i get the bios update besides via driver detective? not really wanting to pay to register that program.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Well you're in luck! :thumbsup:

This link contains everything you are looking for for your ECS 741GX-M

This is the only site you should trust for your computer, because they are the manufacturer of your computer system

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/P...=50&LanID=9

The link I posted above is your computer's main support page and contains links to many other resources such as drivers, manuals, BIOS firmware and many other important pieces of helpful information.

Look for the DOWNLOAD tab and click it, look for the word BIOS, click it and a page will display with your BIOS firmware updates and a flash utility that updates the BIOS chip.

Click the word manuals and you'll get a list of manuals you can download.

Click drivers and those are the correct drivers for your computer.

No need for driver detective, you have the correct resources right here from the company who put your computer together!

If you have any further questions please ask.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 July 2010 - 11:12 AM.

#8 dburress

dburress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

i finally got around to updating the bios for my problem system. right now i'm no longer logging events 51 and 26 as mentioned before. i'll let the system run for a while since it takes time to get the random reboots. i'll stay in touch.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Well I am happy to see we are making some progress here! :flowers:

Please keep us updated, I am hoping your system purrs along problem free from here on in. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users