Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Uninstalling Morpheus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PhoenixPhyre

PhoenixPhyre

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:03 AM

Before I get started, Ill put an apology first if this the wrong forum section to post this help question. So sorry ^^

SUMMERY:
The p2p program Morpheus will not uninstall because an internet window that will start the uninstall after asking why you are uninstalling shows up blank.

THE LONG STORY:
Alright. As the title says, Ive been having problems uninstalling the p2p software of morpheus. At first, I tried the 5.0 to get a particular program. But since Ive tried uninstalling and it wont uninstall. When trying to uninstall from Control Panal's Add/Remove Programs, a small blank internet window will pop up and nothing will display on it, not even a header or window title or anything. Just blank. Cant do anything from there, except close the window. And even after closing it, the program does not uninstall. Ive read that its supposed to be a thing from the Morpheus site asking why you are uninstalling and that will start the uninstall after selecting the uninstall option on that window. Problem is nothing shows up *said that already*.

When trying to uninstall from the actual file folder on my computer in program files, the uninstaller exe will do the same thing. Pop up a internet window thats just blank. Ive also downgraded morpheus by installing a lower version to see if that fixes the problem but it did not. Ive gone to the actual site and they tell me the things Ive already tried, like using Add/Remove Progs. and what not (besides the fact that it would be obvious to do that anyways). Their help link doesnt work that they give if there are more problems and neither does their forum link. I dont want to download a program to uninstall this if its possible, because I dont want to download something that will mess up my comp.

So anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this program? Almost tempted to just delete the folder but it would still be in the system registry (something like that)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:17 AM

Have you tried to uninstall it in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 PhoenixPhyre

PhoenixPhyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:29 AM

Ah that might help. I actually was using safe mode yesterday to remove another problem, but I for the most part stay away from it. ^^ Thanks

#4 Shreavo

Shreavo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

I am having the exact same problem as described above in the original post. I tried uninstalling in safe mode but the uninstalling whether from the programs uninstall or the add/remove program still brought up the small blank IE window.....any suggestions would be appreciated.

#5 PhoenixPhyre

PhoenixPhyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:23 AM

The safe mode didnt work for me, but a freind suggested that you just manually delete the file and the registries. Is this a good idea?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:44 PM

A manual deletion of the program, considerating all the bad things associated with Morpheus, is an option that should be explored. It is my understanding that installing Morpheus also installs several other applications; these you will have to remove, as well.
Once you have deleted the folders associated with it, running anti-spyware applications should get rid of any leftovers; you can then clear the registry with one of the common registry utilities.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 23 October 2005 - 01:44 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Shreavo

Shreavo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

I'm not quit sure what happened, but the morpheus uninstall decided it wanted to work. The only thing I did was run a registry cleaning tool....apparently something I should have done long ago...the registry was a mess. Right before I was going to manually remove Morpheus I tried the uninstall and it worked. Not sure if the registry cleaning had anything to do with it, but that was the only thing meaningful action I had done since last attempted uninstall failure. Thanks for the help guys.

#8 DartMan177

DartMan177

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:13 PM

Hi all.

I thinks I have may found the sulution to uninstalling Morpheus 5.0. In the Morphues folder itself, there is another uninstall. click on that and that window will open with the same survey thing. I clicked the didnt find what i want and it uninstalled ok. The only thing it didnt remove is the folder itself. It contained 3 files 2 of which was adds and the other im not wuite sure. I just deleted the folder. I hope this helps.

Tito

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:24 AM

Here's my "trick" for uninstalling those problem buggers!

First, go and get a copy of Total Uninstall
- Last freeware version here:
http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/uninst.html
- Shareware version here:
http://www.martau.com/

Then, backup your registry and hard drive (in case of problems) and attempt to uninstall the program - let it remove whatever it can.

Then go diving into the registry and hard drive to eliminate all traces of the program and it's authors (You can skip this step and try the rest to see if it works, then - if it doesn't - you can come back and try this step).

As I said, be careful or you'll end up like me the other day - with a system that wouldn't boot - and I didn't backup my registry so I had to do a clean install!

Once this is done, install the offending program again - BUT, this time monitor it using Total Uninstall! Then, immediately remove it with Total Uninstall.

Then, check the Total Uninstall log file for what it wasn't able to remove - and remove it manually yourself.

I've done this with many programs, and it has worked well for me. Here's some of the problems that you may encounter while manually removing items:
1) File won't delete
2) No permission to access file
2) No permission to delete file
3) Registry key won't delete
4) No permission to access registry key
4) No/insufficient permissions to delete registry key

I've encountered all of the above - and there may be more! They all have workarounds, but a too complicated to address here.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Kathryn Michelle

Kathryn Michelle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:04 PM

well i went in and searched for morpheus (click search on the Start menu)

then i clicked on a floater and started deleting everting inside.

i kept going

sometime things wont delete ..(thats ok!)

then try opening morpheus again..it cant open (a good sign)

finally go into your trash can and delete everything in there.

YOur FINISHED

!! :thumbsup:

#11 bcdr06

bcdr06

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

Kathryn is correct in how to get rid of 'Morpheus'! Thanks Kathryn! Here's exactly how I did it:

'Search' for 'Morpheus' related products;

go to 'edit' at top of the page and 'select all'; click 'delete';

then go to 'set programs and defaults' and 'remove' it from there

I had to delete the 'desktop' icon myself, but this process uninstalled 'morphues'.

Thanks again Kathryn!

Cheers Bernadette

#12 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

Have just found this site that explains exactly how to get rid of Morpheus.... Uninstalling Morpheus

BBPP6nz.png

#13 romulus267

romulus267

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

I had the same problem uninstalling morpheus, and if I remember correctly the IE box you get contains a java applet. I had something on my computer that was blocking it (probably norton internet security), so I disabled the block and uninstalled successfully.

#14 cbpatel

cbpatel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

the thought of morpheus on my computer was making me sick. i tried using the uninstall facility but that just came up blank. the comment about temporarliy blocking your internet protection software (norton, macafee) seemed to work. this allowed me to properly uninstall morpheus.

hope this is helpfull.

cbp

manchester
uk

#15 rody

rody

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:59 AM

it seems most of you here starts uninstalling Morpheus, may i know why ? :thumbsup:
hmm .. spywares or ?

i actually thought of installing it though :flowers:
i came across this program today and i realise this program seems popular as i see that the number of downloads (on this program) are huge.

another question (not relating to Morpheus but bout p2p):
i remember i came across this thread in BleepingComputer on p2p programs (some months ago)
and it has info on which p2p programs has spyware installed in it and which program dont.
However i've nearly searched the entire Forum but i cant seem to locate this particular thread anymore.

May i know if it has been removed ? because currently im using Emule so im tryin to find out if this prog is working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users