Hi again BC team,
I am starting a new topic with my second issue as described here a few days ago:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1837880
Issue#1 was successfully resolved by Gringo, thank you!
Issue#2 has not been revisited, I focused entirely on following gringo's instructions and cleaning the laptop.
I will copy the description of issue#2 below and await instructions on how to proceed:
The problem is the external harddrive on which I backed up the system before any disinfecting started. I hooked the external harddrive to another PC (which has Sophos AV) and started a scan on the hard drive only. It found 5 trojans and 1 potentilly unwanted software (I don't have the exact names, I could't save the logs since Sophos crashed). However after 5 days the scan had only covered 41% of the drive (500GB WD MyPassport) and the progress was roughly 2% per 24 hours. So I stopped the scan and tried to clean what was found but Sophos gave an error and the PC froze. I turned it off, unplugged the external drive, restarted and ran a scan on the PC only, everything was fine. So the infection is contained only on the external. In addition, while he scan was running, it was showing the names of the files and I noticed that the vast majority of my media files were renamed with .exe extensions. My guess is that was why Sophos was taking forever to scan.
The bad news is that except the last infected backup of my laptop I had my entire media library on the external drive and now it is ruined.