Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many different hkcmd.exe's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

I'm reading the "System Startup Forum" and typing in each item in my startup to see whether i should keep it or disable it.

In bleepingcomputer's forum, hkcmd only shows up once under the "Name" column, but shows up 6 times under "Filename" column (some of them being potential dangers).

What is stopping a "virus" from using the same name as a legitimate startup program? How can we know the difference?

Edited by BlueGazoo, 11 July 2010 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:50 PM

It's all depends on file location. If you click on "Read more", under "Command" you'll see a location for a legit file: C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

gotcha... However, what if the file location is C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe. Can't a virus replace hkcmd.exe with a virus of the same name (and work around the problems that moving that file would cause)?

I was just curious is all... i'm more concerned with my other posts but haven't gotten any replies... is that normal not to get a reply within a day on BC.com?

Thanks,

Edited by BlueGazoo, 12 July 2010 - 02:42 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

Can't a virus replace hkcmd.exe with a virus of the same name

Yes, it can. Sometimes, it happens.
That's why, if your computer misbehaves, we run different tools to find out, what's wrong.
Files can be also upload to some online scanners to check, if they're healthy.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I was just curious is all... i'm more concerned with my other posts but haven't gotten any replies... is that normal not to get a reply within a day on BC.com?

Thanks,

I just did a quick check and it appears that every single post you have made that isn't a reply to another has a reply. And yes, sometimes topics do not get an answer, however that is generally a rare occurance. Read here for more detail: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/330412/just-some-questionsclarification/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

Thanks - its much appreciated; i hope i didn't sound demanding or unappreciative. To compensate, I tried to contribute by viewing others' posts but had to limit myself to the extremely simply questions (and even then i don't think i should have offered my novice suggestions) :thumbsup:

There's just one that i don't have a real answer to yet... the post is here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1837597

Edited by BlueGazoo, 12 July 2010 - 11:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users