Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Transfer Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MiNdWaRp

MiNdWaRp

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hello all!

I am, like many others have before, having an issue with a driver-related BSOD as a result of a hard drive transfer to another PC. This is preventing me from being able to get into Windows in normal mode, but I can get in via Safe Mode. Normally, I would just perform a clean install, but the owner of this laptop would prefer to keep the same settings. This Hard Drive was transferred to a laptop of the same make and model with no issues, but did not like being transferred back as it caused driver conflicts when it was placed back into the original. Obviously, the laptops have some different components inside them and the original does not like the new ones that were placed into it...

I have tried performing the Vista Startup Repair, System Restore (No restore points exist) and all other options that seemed relevant in the repair menu. What I'm wondering is if there's some way I could force it to 'forget' the drivers and redetect them without having to wipe it clean.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by MiNdWaRp, 11 July 2010 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to delete all of the drivers, then try to reinstall them again?

I do not know which driver is causing your specific issue, but if you can find out which one it is, you may be able to reinstall it later.

I do not know what type of Windows Vista disk the OS originally came from, but you may be able to install Windows Vista again as an upgrade rather then a full clean install.

If that option is available to you, the upgrade will save the contents of all the directories, but will repair the Windows related installation and any corrupted files.

Also, if you can get to a command prompt, you can use the System File Checker by typing SFC /SCANNOW and see if does the repair.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MiNdWaRp

MiNdWaRp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for the reply Bruce.

Would the driver be listed to uninstall in Safe Mode? I was under the assumption that it wouldn't load/list the driver if it doesn't actually work with the device it's assigned.

I've tried a couple of Vista discs and none of them gave me an upgrade option. I could see if the owner of the laptop got one when they purchased it, but I have a feeling all they will have are factory restore discs.

I'm giving SFC a try right now. I'd cross my fingers, but that would make typing a bit complicated. I'll post the result once it finishes.

EDIT: No such luck.

Edited by MiNdWaRp, 16 July 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Download BlueScreenView
http://nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 July 2010 - 05:25 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MiNdWaRp

MiNdWaRp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Oh my god, thank you SO much for that program! I managed to determine that it was a webcam driver that was causing the problem. Or rather several for that matter...

It's working great now, thanks a lot Bruce!

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

Oh my god, thank you SO much for that program! I managed to determine that it was a webcam driver that was causing the problem. Or rather several for that matter...

It's working great now, thanks a lot Bruce!

You're welcome! :huh:

I am so glad to hear that everything is working now as it should be.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users