Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acquiring network address

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rmcgovern816

rmcgovern816

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

On my home computer, we have an Arris modem running on comcast internet and a netgear router. Recently when i log on to the home computer which has a direct connection to the router it says Acquiring network address but the router is still in use because i can get on the internet with my laptop my brother laptop, and my xbox. Any Ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

Make sure the network cable is not damaged.

Do you have use router as DHCP server enabled in your router settings?

Please post the model number of you router.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 rmcgovern816

rmcgovern816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

the model number is WPN824. I do not see anywhere on the computer to check anything about the router though. I do not know whether the router is not installed on the computer or what but there is nowhere to access the router options. I tried to install the router with the software that it came with but it says that the computer is not connceted to the modem. Even when i connect the computer directly to the modem it still says acquiring network address. Any ideas why it could be doing that?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

I am not sure if your router has any thing listed in the model number such as WPN824n WPN824 v1, WPN824 v2, or WPN824 v3

Those model numbers will help me point you in the right direction.

To access your router setup (depending on model number) you do so by typing an IP address into your web browser, I can tell you the IP address to enter once I know exactly what version of the router you have.

An example is the WPN824v3 model here at this link. http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2630

The Documentation tab contains a down loadable user manual, that manual explains how to access the routers setup and how to make changes.

I will await your replay.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 July 2010 - 02:04 PM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 rmcgovern816

rmcgovern816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

It is v2. i found my old ip address and i tried to manually put it in to the local connection properties but it didnt work. it said it was connected but it would not load on internet explorer

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Thanks rather than correcting my link above I will post the v2 one here.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2630

Be back to you shortly.

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

Please read this information on logging into your router.

Connect to the wireless router by typing either of these URLs
in the address field of your browser, then click Enter:
http://www.routerlogin.net
http://www.routerlogin.com
The wireless router will prompt you to enter the user name of
admin and the password. The default password is password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users