Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How is my hardware RAID is effected by formating and reinstalling windows.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NeoStylez

NeoStylez

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hello,

Currently i have 3 internal hard drives in my computer. They are all connected to the raid slots on my motherboard (p5w dh delux) I am using the Intelraid slots on that motherboard.

2 of the hard drives are in Mirrored raid and are used for storage of media files ect. and the other hard drive is a non raid drive used for my OS and My Documents folder partitioned into 2 drives

Posted Image

I most likely will be formatting my computer once i have the necessary files backed up. The main question i was wondering is how my Storage Mirrored raid will be effected if at all by the format and reinstall of windows xp.

Another scenario is that i may also choose at that time to upgrade to windows 7 pro which i have sitting in my desk.

I have never dealt with RAID much before and would not like to format and reinstall windows to only learn that i have destroyed the data on my storage raid.

Regards,

Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

Usually I disconnect any data drives when reinstalling my OS, however with a raid data volume, I wouldn't gamble on it. Your raid chipset and bios remembers the raid settings.

When you install the OS, whichever you choose, it will inspect your drives and give you the choice of which one to use, the raid will just be a single drive partition. It's size will be your best clue.

Since you partitioned your OS drive then it should see it as a smaller volume.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 NeoStylez

NeoStylez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

So the current data on the raid drives shouldn't get affected by the reinstall?

Also, though i know this is the hardware forum If i choose to upgrade to windows 7 pro. It has support for Raid drivers built in right? I would not need my floppy disk with my raid drivers on it?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

The raid bios/chipset controls your mirror, the OS just sees what it hands off, your raid chipset driver may not be included in the OS so keep that floppy handy.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users