Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 7 Opening in Background -- Virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lalaria

Lalaria

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hello everyone!

My laptop has been having some problems recently and I was hoping you could help me.

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Latitude E6400.

Whenever I boot my laptop, Internet Explorer also boots up and starts running. No visible windows pop up, but I can hear the clicking sound that IE makes as I am working. Sometimes an ad that you would normally find on a website starts to play. However, while this ad plays, no internet explorer tab is actually open. I'm a Firefox user myself. If I terminate IE in task manager, it will stop the ad's sound and IE will reboot within 5 seconds.

The only other symptom is that this virus seems to mess with my volume. I have to go into volume control and turn up the wave control every 30 minutes or so, since something keeps sliding it down to minimum.

I have already tired scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SpyBot. The most that any of them has caught are multiple tracking cookies, which they claim to have erased. I recently scanned with Norton Anti-Virus, and it claims to have found 17 problems and fixed all of them. Seven of these were tracking cookies. The other ten are as follows:

keyworq.class contained threat Trojan.Gen
uutecwv.class contained threat Trojan.Gen
appletx.class contained threat Trojan Horse
loaderx.class contained threat Trojan Horse
payloadx.class contained threat Trojan Horse
appletx.class contained threat Downloader
hirwfee.class contained threat Trojan Horse
appletx.class contained threat Downloader
hieeyfc.class contained threat Trojan Horse
hiydcxed.class contained threat Trojan Horse

Norton says it has removed these, but I thought I would list what they are anyway. Just in case.

I have checked Add/Remove Programs and can find no new programs in the list. I have not downloaded or installed anything recently (besides this virus apparently). I also checked the services list and cannot find any new services on the list.

I can post a HijackThis log if necessary.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! If there is already a forum post on this that I have overlooked, please send me the link.

EDIT: 4:02 PM Sunday, 07/11/2010

I just had an IE window ACTUALLY pop up. The site was http //www news28online com (with the spaces indicating where the periods were originally)

Edited by Lalaria, 11 July 2010 - 06:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Your system is showing signs that your computer is still infected by a hidden variant, I am not authorized by Bleepingcomputer to assist in the removal of what you are infected with.

Your Windows registry could be still hiding something that causes someone to have remote access to your machine.

My strongest advice to you is to post a new topic to this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

And describe your situation there.

Good luck.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Lalaria

Lalaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will repost this on the suggested site.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

You're very welcome!

Please come back to this thread after you've resolved your issue and let us know your status.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

Now that you have posted in one of our malware forums, please take all instructions from BC Staff in that forum.

To prevent possible confusion/suggestions, I am now closing this thread.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users