Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive recognized every other boot up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Danja

Danja

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hello,

The hard drive on my computer broke a week ago and I just installed a new 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint. I used the hp system recovery disks and everything worked without a hitch, until it told me it needed to restart to complete the restoration. It restarted and the only device the BIOS could detect was the DVD drive! Fortunately, I have had this exact same experience on an old dell computer, on which I also have the problem described in the title. I turned off the PC, turned it back on, and setup was completed normally. It does this every other time the computer boots up. The boot has to be from a complete shutdown; if I just do a restart it still won't recognize the drive but if I shut down and then manually hit the power button, the drive will be recognized. There must be some problem in my setup if both computers for which I've installed HDDs experience this problem. I just removed the old drive, firmly seated the power supply cable and SATA cable, and put it back in. Is there anything I left out, or does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Current system:

Windows XP media center 2005 (but trying to upgrade to 7 as I type; every time the installation disk does an automatic restart I have to turn it off and turn it on again so it can find the disk)
hp Media center m7560n
AMD 2.2 GHz Athlon2 X2 processor
2 GB 533 mHz RAM
Let me know if any other specs are required.

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see where you said you made sure the SATA cables were firmly seated into the SATA connectors.

The fact that cycling the computer seems to resolve the issue is an indication that there is an intermittent connection, or there is a BIOS setting that is not correct.

How's the life of the CMOS battery? Is it a new one? Could it be weak or dead?

I would recommend your paying closer attention the settings you have in the BIOS, there might be one thing there that is not set correctly.

Make sure the drive is detected and the drive is set as a boot device in the boot menu, make sure you save all those settings by saving to CMOS upon exit.

Make sure the cable to the hard drive is not damaged where the wires go into the plug.

Make sure no corrosion, or a speck of dust has come between the connections, trust me this does happen and sometimes isn't noticeable.

I am sure its a simple little thing that's being over looked, we just have to work with it till it is found and corrected.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 July 2010 - 06:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Danja

Danja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

Could it have anything to do with having both SATA controller set to <Enabled> in the BIOS? The CMOS battery looks to be ok, although it is aging a bit.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Ok lets get with the support pages here.

This link is to the main support page to your HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7560n Desktop PC

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...p;submit=Go%20

I think I read where you said you've installed windows 7 on this computer. There are no HP drivers for Windows 7, but you may be able to use the Vista drivers lited at this link. (this is for 32 bit drivers) http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...ct=3189597#N964

As for having both SATA controllers set to enabled, I am not sure if you have more than one SATA drive in the computer, but who knows, it wouldn't hurt to disable one and then alternate to the other.

Is you hard drive a SATA drive or a E-IDE/PATA drive?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users