Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F11 doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

My laptop stopped working. It is a Pavilion DV2000. It has Windows Vista.

NO I AM NOT ASKING FOR PASSWORDS, CODES, KEYS, ANYTHING LIKE THAT SO DON'T DELETE ME THIS TIME.

I had the XP install disk from my other Pavilion (Not a DV2000), it installed and will start. However, pressing F11 at startup does nothing.

How can I get the system to restore itself to its original splendor.

Thank you.

Cass

Yes, I have quite a few laptops and they are all my personal ones. My Dell will not start and I can't get the assistance I need to get it back into working order, so I bought this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

I recommend using an external keyboard and seeing if that works. Your F11 key may just be dead.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

I recommend using an external keyboard and seeing if that works. Your F11 key may just be dead.

All the other keys work, but I tried. Using an external keyboard does not work, either. To ensure the external keyboard was working, I used F10 to enter into the setup.

I went into disk manager to make D: the active drive, but that is disabled.

If HP had sent disks instead of relying on a partition, so many people would not be so upset.

As for HP technical support: puh-leeez

Edited by Cassiopeia, 11 July 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

I would run hard drive diagnostics on your drive and see whats up with the drive.

Have you tried pressing other keys?

Can you provide the full model number of your lap top?

#5 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

I would run hard drive diagnostics on your drive and see whats up with the drive.

Have you tried pressing other keys?

Can you provide the full model number of your lap top?

Model: HP Pavilion Entertainment PC DV2000. It came with Vista installed. When it wouldn't boot, and because HP is too cheap to include recovery discs, I used an HP XP disc to install XP with the intention of getting recovery to work from D: drive.

Well, installing XP disabled the F11 (recovery) key. D: drive is still there and listed as the recovery drive. According to HP, it is disabled because I messed with the OS and, if I want to fix it, I have to purchase the recovery discs.

I've gone into disc manager and attempted to make D: drive the active drive. That option is not available. I have searched for a download of Vista to no avail. (I found torrents, but they scare me.) I do not know anyone with Vista. Those I know who don't have XP have 7.

I have been working on this for eight hours straight. I think it's time for a glass of wine and some down time.

:huh:

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

The DV2000 is not the full model number as it produces this many results: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...p;submit=Go+%BB

#7 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

The DV2000 is not the full model number as it produces this many results: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...p;submit=Go+%BB

That's the full model number. I can find the drivers for it at hp.com.

I give up. I'm tired of getting absolutely no useful assistance at this site. Maybe that moron should have deleted it again.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Look on the bottom of your lap top for a sticker containing the sreal number and other important information.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...duct=18073#N898

Okay its called the Part Number my mistake.

#9 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

There was an option on the machine when it came from the factory to create recovery discs, apparently you didn't do that. Once the recovery disks were created the recovery partition could be deleted to reclaim that disk space. At this point you may need to purchase a set of recovery disks from HP. Your other options are to stick with XP that is already installed or buy a copy of Vista or Win 7 to install. Have you checked with HP regarding the cost of the recovery disks? Most likely that is the most economical way to recover.

Edited by strolln, 11 July 2010 - 09:30 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users