Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying my first PC...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

I'm wanting a full size tower with dual-HDD. I've been told this is not available 'out-of-the-box'. Google/Yahoo searches seem to confirm this, as I couldn't find any brands/model numbers at all. I've also been told that the only options are special-order from factory or go to a custom-build (computer) shop. Since I cannot get a PC ready-to-go, I'm wanting to know just what is possible with special-order or custom-builds. Can I specify a specific brand/model number of a video card (for example). Someone told me no, and that factory will not even say the brand/model number of what they intend to chose for you (til you buy it, and get the spec sheet). If true, is it the same for custom-build shops? I need to know a lot more about both options, so any advice, links to other sites, etc., is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

I went to the dell online store and customized a

Studio XPS 9000

Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English

6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

1TB Performance RAID 0 (2x500GB SATA 7200 RPM HDDs)

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

$1,649.99
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

You could select the brand of the components you want, with a custom build, if they carry the components.
You could always buy the computer that has the specs you want, and add an additional harddrive.
Very easy to do.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:02 PM

Why the requirement for dual HDDs? Do you want a RAID configuration or what? Virtually all towers could easily have a 2nd drive added. Another possibility is to partition a large single drive in to 2 partitions so that it would appear as 2 drives. Please tell us what you are trying to accomplish and why you have the requirement for dual drives.

Edited by strolln, 11 July 2010 - 10:03 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Why the requirement for dual HDDs? Do you want a RAID configuration or what? Virtually all towers could easily have a 2nd drive added. Another possibility is to partition a large single drive in to 2 partitions so that it would appear as 2 drives. Please tell us what you are trying to accomplish and why you have the requirement for dual drives.

I want the dual-HDD for a dual-boot OS (without the partitioning hassle). Ideally I would want one internal hard disk drive and one removable (frame/carraige-based) HDD; but would settle for two internal ones. Sorry, don't yet know what the RAID stuff is...no PC hardware book I've found so far is up to date enough, & yet to go through Wikipedia for all the hardware terms. I only get 1 to 2 hours a day on public computers. I'm a deadly slow typist. Just don't have the time. I suspect RAID has something to do with back-up (if so, I'm planning on an external HDD for anything that can't be done with CDs or DVDs).

#6 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

You could select the brand of the components you want, with a custom build, if they carry the components.
You could always buy the computer that has the specs you want, and add an additional harddrive.
Very easy to do.

So if a custom build shop doesn't carry the specific brand/model number, would such a shop typically allow one to provide that component?

#7 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

I went to the dell online store and customized a

Studio XPS 9000

Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English

6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

1TB Performance RAID 0 (2x500GB SATA 7200 RPM HDDs)

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

$1,649.99

Let's say, as example, I want a dual-HDD (one internal, the other frame/carrier-based), an ATI All-In-Wonder (either model number X1900, X800GT, or 2006 PCIExpress), & dual-BEOS chip. I assume Windows XP Pro SP2 is no longer possible, so I would require Linux (either Linux Mint7 or PCLinuxOS 2010) on one HDD, and the other HDD left 'blank' (i.e. ready for local tech to install XP Pro). Would you think all this is possible for special order from a factory...or would custom build shop be necessary...or would neither do it?

#8 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

One of the most important things that ordering from a manufacturer like Dell is that all of the components and drivers are matched for compatibility. When you start choosing a complex system based on what you want from the components, a fair bit of research is required so that you aren't running into BSOD's later from conflicting programs and drivers. Choose a case that is designed for effective cooling as well.

Dual-boots can't be a remarkable nuisance as well. I have XP sp3 on one drive and Win 7 on the other. You need an antivirus and firewall on each boot, which depending on the set up, causes issues. There are constant Microsoft updates that have to be done on each side, as well as antivirus definitions, among a multitude of others.

If you have to reboot after installing something, again depending on the setup, you have to babysit the thing to make sure that it doesn't reboot into the wrong operating system.

I got heartily tired of it. :blink:

#9 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,722 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

I still don't see any problem. I purchased an eMachine ET1161-07 over a year ago for less than $400. Just a couple of months ago I added a second 1 tb HD just for laughs and it was the simplest thing in the world to accomplish. Both the original HD and the add-on can dual boot Vista and Ubuntu 10.04. And IMHO partioning isn't a difficult process at all.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Have you checked with computer shops to find out what a custom build would cost?

Most have a "stock" build, and you can request extras.

If you have a keyboard, monitor and mouse, use what you have.

Also ask about the warranty period and what is covered. Both my custom systems have a 3 year warranty (I've gotten a hard drive and power supply replaced on my computer under the warranty). In order for the warranty to be good for the 3 years, I have to take the systems to the tech every 6 months so they can clean out the innards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users