Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE automatically opening

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

I haven't used IE as my browser for a very long time since I use Firefox and of late, I have been using Chrome. Within the last day, several browsing windows would pop open for no apparent reason. Therefore, I open my Task Manager to see if IE was running, which it was, then I End Process to close it. Upon keeping the Task Manager open, IE automatically appears again in the list of processes and I have no idea why. Whenever I end process again, it reappears. I did a virus scan and nothing came up. What other reasons why IE continues to auto open? Are there other programs which could be associated with it which are making it reappear?

All help appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

Possible rootkit.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

The problem was the same as another recent post with the iexplore.exe continuously popping up and opening a new IE window while using Firefox and/or Chrome. I was using Microsoft Essentials as a virus protection. I will not use it again. I'm back to using McAfee since I never had problems for many years using it. I don't know why I switched.

Anyway, the end results were me restoring my computer to it's default settings. I backed up all files and folders in safe mode and am now putting everything back in order.

If I ever catch a hacker or discover someone is a hacker, I plan to break their hands at the very least.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

I was using Microsoft Essentials as a virus protection. I will not use it again. I'm back to using McAfee

It really doesn't matter much, which AV program you use. They're more, or less equal.
It's more about your computer habits and staying alert all the time.
Infections don't come to people computers by themselves.
Some user action triggers them.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

I was using Microsoft Essentials as a virus protection. I will not use it again. I'm back to using McAfee

It really doesn't matter much, which AV program you use. They're more, or less equal.
It's more about your computer habits and staying alert all the time.
Infections don't come to people computers by themselves.
Some user action triggers them.

Considering my computer habits are roughly the same and have been roughly the same for many years, I'm leaning much towards the virus protection software failure. Moreso, due to the fact ME did not detect any viruses, yet McAfee detected 3 when I installed it after the restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users