Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove old Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mdx

mdx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hey guys, need your intput:

My laptop was provided by my graduate school (came out of our tuition) and was preloaded with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.2xx. I graudated a few years ago but still kept this on my laptop and updated the virus definitions regularly. Recently, I found out the "scan" function has been disabled, but real-time protection appears to work (occasionally pops up that xxxx has been quarantined). So I went to Symantec's website and found that this product has been discontinued. I looked around some more and it looks like uninstalling Symantec is a real pain, requiring editing the registry.

So should I continue using this, since real-time scanning and virus definition updates still work? I'm afraid that since it's a discontinued product, I'll be vulnerable to infections. Do you guys think I should try uninstalling it, and downloading one of the free antivirus programs instead (Avira, Microsoft, AVG)?

I tried installing Microsoft Security Essentials (heard it was good), but slowed my laptop to a screeching halt. Probably because I still had Symantec & Spybot teatimer running. Thus, it had to go.

I have the following security programs:
- Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition
- Spybot S&D w/ Teatimer
- MalwareBytes
- ZoneAlarm firewall

What do you guys think?

p.s. Should I use Firefox browser instead of IE? Heard it was "safer".

Edited by mdx, 11 July 2010 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34671/how-to-remove-your-norton-products/

But make sure that teatimer is disabled first.

We need to disable Spybot S&D's "TeaTimer"
TeaTimer works by preventing ANY changes to the system. It will attempt to undo any fixes we run, because it blocks these fixes from running.

In order to safeguard your system from problems that can be brought on by a half finished fix, we need to disable TeaTimer. We can reenable it when we're done if you like.
  • Open SpyBot Search and Destroy by going to Start -> All Programs -> Spybot Search and Destroy -> Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • If prompted with a legal dialog, accept the warning.
  • Click Posted Image and then on "Advanced Mode"
    Posted Image
  • You may be presented with a warning dialog. If so, press Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Uncheck this checkbox:
    Posted Image
  • Close/Exit Spybot Search and Destroy

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users