Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to know if you are hearing the "click of death" on HD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TrekByte

TrekByte

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a new Compaq laptop (model #CQ60-615DX) and noticed while I was downloading some files, I heard a clicking noise coming from the hard drive. I researched it online and all the information I could find is that it's the "click of death" which means your hard drive is failing. So, I returned it and got another of the same model. Now this one does the same thing. Mainly when im downloading files. I've never experienced my other laptops hard drive's making this noise. Is this normal? The sound is kinda of like a "tapping" noise and only seems to happen when im downloading files. Its not very loud but you can hear it when its quiet in the room. The hard drive is a toshiba mk2556gsy 250GB @ 7200RPM. I've ran two test (chkdsk and a hard drive diagnostic program) and they both came out fine.

If anyone has any idea, Id appreciate it. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

I have heard this noise before, its the actuator arm which contains the servo heads of the hard drive moving back and forth across the disk surface.

If you are hearing sounds like marbles in a food processor, then you have problems.

Hard drives are not always quite when they are function properly.

Chances are the noises you hear are amplified through the case and appear more of an annoyance if anything.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

If it sounds something like this recording I made there is something wrong with the drive.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

Run the appropriate diagnostic (long test), if you have any doubts.

Louis

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

If it sounds something like this recording I made there is something wrong with the drive.

LOL was wondering why the person who did this video used a flashlight?

But never the less that was a good example.

I have heard drives make loud grinding noises as well, that's basically the damaged heads digging into the platter.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 TrekByte

TrekByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Thank you all for your help. It definitely doesnt sound like that hard drive on youtube :thumbsup: Its more of a low tick sound. I have noticed it does it when I am writing to the drive it or when youre accessing the drive and playing a video. Everything else seems to be running smoothly on the laptop. I guess it's just the normal sound the hard drive makes..?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users